 Harry Potter / 615
Re: Now that we have a range of pictures...some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 05:05:29 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.harrypotter, Matthew Gerber writes:

1) Is it just me, or does it look lke theSnape head is glow-in-the-dark?
Page 4, left-hand side, characters...the plastic of his head has a
translucense, Page 5, Hogwarts Castle, he's pretty much glowing, Page 6,
Snape's Class, got a real good glow on...this begs the question...WHY?

Aw, gee Matt! I thought we had settled the question about begging the
question....

http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=9989

So , you're saying that "begs the question" somehow DOESN'T belong in the
catagory of reasoning processes?

It's not an antonym of reasoning?

In the way I used it, it's NOT a verb facetiously inviting folks to reason
out the meaning of a possibly glowing Snape head in the Harry Potter line,
when there is no evidence of this phenomenon in the books?

When used in this way, it becomes rhetorical, correct?

And that was my point...there really IS no question...if it does, it
shouldn't, but it looks as if it might, which is strange since there is no
evidence of it in the books...so, why, but not in the sense that I'm
expecting an actual answer...just that I'm pointing out to folks that they
may have reason to wonder if, in fact, it does when it shouldn't! *WHEW*

And in case I'm just pulling all of this out of my ***, chalk it all up to
common usage overtaking dictionary definitions.

Now...since we're boring the heck out of .harrypotter, do you have some
answer or opinion on the issue of Snape's possibly glowing head, or not?

Matt

(before offense is taken, everything above is written with toung firmly
planted in cheek)