 General / 6800
Re: The LEGO history - Interesting book found at the library
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:10:00 GMT

Gary Istok skrev i meddelandet <37BAFA87.3BD2FB3D@umich.edu>...
ABS Plastic was introduced in 1963!!!  The World of Lego Toys says 1961!  I • always
thought that there was way too much Cellulose Acetate Lego around for the • change
to have taken place in 1961.

Of course you cannot be _sure_ about the years given in the book (I pointed
one discrepancy out). What the book says is that Cellulose Acetate stopped
being used 1963, it does not explicitely say when ABS was first tried.

And it said that the  first sets with instructions came in 1964.  I tend to
disagree with that one.  The first set that was not "add on" or "general • building"
or "bulk" was the USA Samsonite set "Junior Constructor" (#717) from 1961-64.

I think the book means 'single model sets with building instructions'.

And the road baseplate, although it was produced for the first time in the • size we
know it today starting in 1978, was actually first produced (possibly only by
Samsonite Lego) in 1970 in the 50x50 stud size, but only for a year or two (I • have
2 of these rare large road baseplates, and the 1970 Samsonite Lego Dealer • catalog
that list these as a new item).

Maybe TLG doesn't include Samsonite Lego in its statistics?

The book says almost _nothing_ about the US part of LEGO. It mentions the
Samsonite deal (99 years of exclusive rights, which LEGO bought off later, but
they had to pay royalties until 1989). Brookfield is mentioned as the first
location for LEGO Systems, Enfield is only mentioned as the place they moved
to 1975 ('where also part of the packing was done'). I think the Danish author
plays down the US part of LEGO a bit.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm