 General / 42554
Re: The LEGO history - Interesting book found at the library
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:27:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Anders Isaksson wrote:
1951 - Renamed to 'LEGO Mursten' ('LEGO Bricks') (picture) (at another page
it says 1953 for this???)

     It's 1953 according to the 2002 LEGO Brand Book (given out in a 4-pack
boxed set at Toy Fair 2002)

1962 - The wheel is discovered.

     1961, according to the 2002 LBB, though I'm curious as to how they released
sets with instructions for building cars in 1955 without wheels.  Did they just
have black bricks stacked to represent them?

There is no information about the introduction of sloped bricks, but they are
not on the pictures before 1960.

     1958, the same year as the tube patent and OKC's death, according to the
2002 LBB.

There is a definite reference to the inch as a base for the brick size.

     That only makes sense, as the metric system wasn't officially adopted into
law in Denmark until 1907 (and industry can take a while to convert over), and
contrary to what metrication-marxists will say, most "metric" countries continue
to use old-world measurements (they just label them with what are often abstract
metric units).  Also, the injection molding machine OKC bought was from the UK,
which didn't decide to adopt the French system until 1969, well after OKC bought
his British injection molding machine.  And if the first wave of bricks was made
using good ol' inches, there's no going back or they wouldn't be compatible.
More disturbingly, the most recent revision of the official lenght of the meter
was enacted in 1965, so if the minutely precise molds from pre-1965 were done in
metric, maintaining accuracy with the post-1965 molds would be an unpleasant
experience.  I, for one, prefer to think of a 1x1x1 brick as being
5/16"x5/16"x3/8", plates as being 1/8" thick, and studs as being 1/16" tall and
3/16" in diameter.