 General / 6815
Re: 50x50 baseplate (was: Re: The LEGO history - Interesting book found at the library)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:00:04 GMT

Frank, you never know what old stock you're gonna find in a Toy Store.  11 years after
the London Bus (#760) came on the scene in 1975, I picked up a large quantity of them in
1986 at a suburban Detroit toy store chain.  Ditto for the Lear Jet (#455).   And in
Europe, you can find stuff that's sometimes over 20 years old, especially in family
owned toy stores in smaller obscure towns and villages.

I have the 1970 US Samsonite LEGO Dealer Catalog, which does contain this plate (listed
as a "new" 1970 item), and the 1973 US TLG LEGO Catalog, which does not contain the
plate.

Gary Istok

Frank Filz wrote:

Gary Istok wrote:
Here is an eBay picture (that's a switch, isn't it, of a LUGNET item referencing
an eBay item) of one of the rare 50x50 plates with a roadway on it.  I recently
purchased it in eBay.  Scroll down to the bottom of the eBay listing for the
picture.  Note:  it is to the right of a 50x50 grey plate.  The green giant road
plates did not have any roadway markings on them, unlike the later 32x32
roadplates.  Like I stated earlier, this was first introduced by Samsonite Lego in
1970 for only one or two years.  I have not yet found this in any European
catalog.  But I cannot confirm if it was a Samsonite only product.

Check it out:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=127034166

Gary Istok

I'm really wondering when and where I've seen this plate in the stores.
I know I have seen it in the stores, and it seems to me that I saw it
more recently than 1972, in fact, I'd almost be sure of it. I know this
is one of the items I looked at during my dark ages (which were not
pitch black - I observed all the neat Lego I was missing all through my
dark ages) and I remember thinking: "Gee, that would have been nice to
have had as a kid.". I know I was not in my dark ages as late as 1972
because we came home from our trip to Europe that year with a few Lego
sets (I'm pretty sure one was a fire truck the odd thing is that it
seems more likely we had
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=658-1 which is a 1974 set
rather than http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=640-1 or
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=374-2, so maybe we didn't get
the fire truck in Europe).

Part of me wants to say that I saw that base plate in TRU here in North
Carolina, but that is an almost impossibility since I didn't move down
here until 1990 (unless it was real old stock sitting in the Raleigh
TRU, the Cary TRU post dates my move down here).

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com