 General / 6808
Re: 50x50 baseplate (was: Re: The LEGO history - Interesting book found at the library)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 14:25:36 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson <wilsonj@xoommail.com> writes:
And the road baseplate, although it was produced for the first time in
the size we know it today starting in 1978, was actually first produced
(possibly only by Samsonite Lego) in 1970 in the 50x50 stud size, but
only for a year or two (I have 2 of these rare large road baseplates,
and the 1970 Samsonite Lego Dealer catalog that list these as a new item).

Do you have a picture of one of these 50 x 50 roadplates?

If the one Gary is talking about is the same type as the one we have here,
then imagine a regular modern 48x48 baseplate, except make it 50x50 instead.

Suzanne has a picture on her website of one of these baseplates, although
it's completely covered with bricks:

   http://www.baseplate.com/ideas/human-scale/chess/

At 50x50, it's perfect for a chess or checkers board with a decorative
border, because 6x8+2 = 50!  :)

--Todd

Here is an eBay picture (that's a switch, isn't it, of a LUGNET item referencing
an eBay item) of one of the rare 50x50 plates with a roadway on it.  I recently
purchased it in eBay.  Scroll down to the bottom of the eBay listing for the
picture.  Note:  it is to the right of a 50x50 grey plate.  The green giant road
plates did not have any roadway markings on them, unlike the later 32x32
roadplates.  Like I stated earlier, this was first introduced by Samsonite Lego in
1970 for only one or two years.  I have not yet found this in any European
catalog.  But I cannot confirm if it was a Samsonite only product.

Check it out:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=127034166

Gary Istok