 General / 6111
Re: The History of LEGO Plates - Part 1.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 17:40:58 GMT

Mark Koesel wrote:

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message

Simon, Yes there is no Champagne hue on the newer ones.  Maybe in a few • years
they'll turn that color.

But one thing I did notice is that the clear 1x2 plates from the 1960's
Architectural parts packs are indistinguishable from those of the Lear Jet
(1970's).  That means that both are ABS, or they had a lot of CA plates • left over
from the 1960's and they're both CA.  I tend to think that maybe the first • is
true.

But clear bricks warrant a lot more study before I can make a • generalization like
that.  I think I'll make clear bricks/plates/slopes  a separate discussion
altogether.  I think I have about 10,000 , so it'll be interesting to see • what
variations I can come up with.  Stay tuned.

I can't say for certain, but I'd swear that the few (very chewed and
manbled)
1x2 plates I still have from my old Lear Jet are Cellulose Acetate.

Speaking of which, Gary, I've got a bunch of old clear bricks (2x4, 2x3,
etc.)
I'll never use,  (most of them faded, some more than others) that I'd love
give to you if we ever have that Michigan Legofest :)

Trivia question - what LEGO set had the most (no color) clear bricks ever?

Would that be the Town Plan set that you have told us all about?  Looks like
it has enough clear to build multiple sky scrapers...

Gary Istok

Hey Mark, you are correct!! Set 725 - Town Plan (the later 1962-64 version) had
over 100 clear bricks, in brick sizes 1x1, 1x2, 1x6, 1x8, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 and 2x2
quarter circle (macaroni).  No clear plates or slopes in this set.  Keep those
clear bricks handy.  They'll make great trading material at the Michigan
Legofest.  (And make sure you get there early, before Larry P. does.  We'll get
our trading done early, heh-heh).

Gary Istok