 General / 6056
Re: The History of LEGO Plates - Part 1.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 00:29:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

<snip>

Clear - Only the regular clear bricks were produced.  The CA clear bricks
have a
yellow hue to them (probably yellowed over the years).  Warping is common.
The ABS
clear bricks have a more blue hue to them (not to be confused with any of the
colored
clear bricks, which came long after CA bricks ceased production).  But anyone
who has
the LEAR JET set will confirm that the 1x2 clear plates (ABS) in this set
also have a
"champagne" like hue.  So I would venture to guess that the blue hue of clear
bricks
today happened sometimes in the late 1970's or early 1980's, and ABS clear
bricks can
have either a champagne or a blue hue to them..

There are definitely two different shades of clear ABS brick that have been
circulating over the last few years. For example, I'm currently looking at
my 9365 Dacta Community Vehicles set and the two shades of brick are visible
next to each other in the polybags.
To take two examples from the Community Vehicles set:

Sets such as 6680 ambulance have what I'd regard as completely transparant
bricks - I don't know if
these are the ones you'd describe as having a champagne hue, personally
I can't really see any hue.

6594 Gas Transit has a transparent windscreen but it has a definite blue
hue. I'd still regard it as not coloured - it's nothing like the really
blue-ish transparent bricks, such as occur in the Exploriens sets.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com