 General / 5573
Re: The History of LEGO Plates - Part 1.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:53:58 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:

2) small plates were used for the first time in a set - the unique
continental European Architectural Sets.

I don't know much about the really early days of Lego, so forgive me if this is
an ignorant question, but:  Are these what they sound like?  Architectural sets
with ideas for generic continental European architecture?  I had independantly
come to the conclusion a while ago that Lego should make Town/Model Team
crossover sets with examples of architecture from different regions- a Venetian
house, a Paris street, an Amsterdam street, etc- this just made me wonder if
this was something they had done before.

Are there any scanned catalogues with pictures of these sets?

eric

Eric,
(There are no ignorant questions!!)
Most people are unaware of the Architectural Sets, which were produced from
1963-65.  They are not as exciting as they sound.  The sets consist only of plates
and bricks - no windows or doors (clear bricks were supposed to signify windows.
The boxes they came in (sets 750, 751 and 752) are perhaps the most dull looking
boxes Lego ever produced (shades of grey, beige and white).  However, I would not
label the hard plastic parts packs as dull, they are perhaps the most fascinating
parts packs Lego ever produced, with the clear plastic box (similar to the ones the
old small Lego cars & trucks came in in the late 50's & early 60's) and the 8x11
grey baseplate, and the colorful cardboard sleeve with adults building modern
looking buildings displayed on it.

The Lugnet Database has the 750, 751 and 752 sets displayed:

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=752

But there are no pictures of the Architectural Parts Packs in Lugnet (net yet
anyway).

One interesting observation about these sets is that the color yellow was not used
for any plates or bricks in any of these sets.  (So you will never find a yellow
Architectural parts pack.)

Using only plates and bricks (they didn't have any arches, railings or other
specialty architectural pieces back in 1963) it limits what you could build.  What
is displayed in the boxes is more like "modern Scandanavian" structures, rather
than historical buildings.

But I agree with you, it would be great to have historical architectural themed
sets today.

Gary Istok