 General / 49517
Re: Most redundant Lego part
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:41:50 GMT

"M. Moolhuysen" <moom@NOSPAM-chello.nl> wrote in message
news:I6KGpB.1F5v@lugnet.com...
You won't believe what a piece of junk the new Castle Wall 3 x 8 x 6 from • the
Knights Kingdom sets is. The middle section has the shape of the Castle • Wall 3 x
4 x 6, but then on both sides there are lower, straight sections of 2 • studs wide
each attached to it. These straight sections have a 45° sloped foot • intersecting
with the chamfered sides of the 'middle tower'. The window is larger than • the
window in a Castle Wall 3 x 4 x 6, because it's designed to hold the • Lattice
Diamond or Twisted Bar Panes with Rounded Top. You can make out these • parts
clearly on this picture:

<<http://www.bricklink.com/SL/8799-1.jpg>>¬
Yes, those two Light Bluish Gray blobs on the right (everything under the • Dark
Bluish Gray Castle Turret Top 4 x 8 x 2 1/3 and the two Blue Violet • Slopes,
Inverted 45 2 x 2) are each just one whole part.

Now, why does TLC keep waisting valuable recources for making obviously
superfluous molds like these?

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

OK so its a bit juniorised but its not superfluous nor redundant. You
couldn't make that set without those pieces, therefore it's not superfluous,
and you can't make that part out of other parts therefore its not redundant
(OK you can get close to it). Castles have been using prefab wall pieces to
bulk them out since 1984. I don't see how this is any different. I'd prefer
to see sets made with the castle wall panel http://peeron.com/inv/parts/4444
but thats only because I grew up with them. They are effectively Poop's,
this one isn't.  - Not that I like that new piece much mind you ;)

--
James Stacey
------