 General / 42407
Re: High praise for Designer Set #4100
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:01:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Larry’s idea is actually not as strange as it sounds -- the idea of marketing this set as a BOOK that comes with the needed bricks is not at all a bad idea. Kind of like that Klutz “Lego Crazy Action Contraptions” book that was available some time ago.

There are actually a few books that have been released this way under the Masterbuilder name (though the most famous one was released sans book). Books would drive the price up, and those few MB sets that were released with books were very hard to find. My suspicion is that the presence of an ISBN caused retailers to think of them more as books than toys. While I’m sure books would go over better here than the standard instruction booklets, they’d probably cause the sales on the Designer sets to tank.

   Designer sets should maybe have a newsgroup of their own -- I mean if something as lame as “Galidork” gets a newsgroup, this certainly merits at least a subgroup or something.

My understanding is that newsgroups are not “earned” based on popularity, but rather on theme differentiation. Galidor got a standalone group because there really wasn’t any other theme group that it was closely related to. Truthfully, as the current best-selling LEGO theme, and as a property that has actually managed to outsell most, and possibly all, action figure lines, Bionicle is the most deserving of a standalone group. However, it’s very obvious that it’s a subgroup of Technic, so that’s where it is. That’s not to say that Designer/Advanced Designer/Inventor shouldn’t get one or more groups/subgroups, but trying to justify the deservedness of newsgroups based on your personal tastes is more than a bit silly.

   TLC may need help calling attention to this stuff. Properly marketed, this kind of set is the future of TLC (and hopefully the death of stuff like Galidork, bioknuckles, and non-standard and therefore almost useless technic).

First of all, you’ve had almost two years to hate Bionicle. If you’re going to waste time griping about how stupid you think it is, one would think you’d at least have taken the time to come up with more creative insults than “bioknuckles”. I happen to love the series but I’m positive that I could come up with something much better than that in a week or less.

Secondly, the usefulness of a part is only restricted by your own imagination. Just because you don’t draw inspiration from some of the more unusual “organic” Technic pieces doesn’t mean other people can’t. And it doesn’t mean you should judge them as “useless” either. I’ve spent the last 25 years building MOCs based primarily around specialized pieces, and I have very little creativity when it comes to standard 2x4 bricks, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be excited about the prospect of a working brick-built harpsichord, or enjoy the details of a minifig-scale Japanese fishing village.

Third, the best thing for TLC right now is a greater diversity of product offerings, not less. In 1998, the basic brick brought them losses, not profit. In today’s market, the basic brick is not strong enough to stand solely on its own merits when going up against the wide variety of action figures, video games, sports, tv, movies, and other distractions available for today’s kid. The Designer series is a great step in the right direction, but no more than Star Wars, Harry Potter, and yes, even Bionicle. This shouldn’t be about which themes should get dropped in favor of which other themes. It should be about which themes will be interesting enough to pull kids away from the PS2 and get them to do something that will enrich their mind. It should be about which themes will be strong enough to keep TLC from having to announce another batch of layoffs. And most importantly, it should be about making sure that every Fan of LEGO can walk into a store and find something that interests them enough to buy. A lot of the old school AFOLs can’t get into Bionicle, and that’s fine with me. You don’t have to buy it. You don’t even have to like it. But you do need to get your head out of the sand and realize that there are millions of kids who do like it, and most of them never saw any reason to get interested in the basic brick. A lot of them still don’t, but if Bionicle goes away, so does any influx of newfound brick fans that’s been along for the ride. Can you seriously say that you think that would be a good thing?