 General / 41838
Re: High praise for Designer Set #4100
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:09:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
(snipment of Allan and Larry)

I've just got back from LLW where us Brickishers have been doing a display
(more about that later from someone with a camera I expect) and while there
I popped up to the shop to see if these sets were in ('cos they were waiting
for them for the first two weeks of opening)  And they were.  Even from the
pics I felt TLC were going the right way with these and in the ABS they are
even better.  I bought a 4100 Maximum Wheels - £15 (but £13.50 to me as a
season ticket holder) and took it back to the 'Building Zone' building and
stashed it under the layout.  Later in the afternoon the crowds had died
down and I felt like taking a look so I opened it.  Within 15 mins I was
back up at at the shop buying a 4099 and 4401!

These sets are just stupendous.  I may not need the bricks but I was going
to buy at least one just to reward TLC for getting it right.  After opening
the set I feel like just building little vehicles - er, 'playing with Lego'
I used to call it!

I know that in talking to parents, and from some of the emails I've received
via my website, that Idea Books in general are in at least moderate demand.
A full-blown product, along this line, would hopefully sell well on its own,
while at the same time adding to sales of the Designer Sets.  Let's keep our
fingers crossed.  :)

I must add a me too. - Please TLC, bring back ideas books.  I spoke to a
large number of parents this weekend who remember them and wanted to know if
something like them was available - I pointed them to the Designer sets!

Thanks again to LEGO for such good work.

Indeed, and thanks, Allan, for sharing your detailed review. It's awesome
when TLC gets something really really right.

Awesome... and important to point out.  It's easy to complain about
something.  Trust me, I know from experience.  :)  But it's often the good
work that gets overlooked.  It's very important, if you ask me, to take the
time to tell a company when you feel they are doing something right.  I have
always promised myself that when LEGO put out any sets I liked, that I would
try to let them know.  I have done that in two ways.  First, by posting an
open letter... which *hopefully* someone there might read.  And, most
importantly, by praising the work with my wallet.  Since beginning to buy
LEGO as an adult, this is probably the quickest I've bought a new set after
its initial release.  And I'll be buying more.

So will I.

I think LLW would sell more if they had them in plainer view, but hopefully
the new Bulk bins will draw the eye over to the corner of the shop where
they are kept.  The My Town shop should stock them as well.

Thanks again TLC.

Simon