 General / 41970
Re: High praise for Designer Set #4100
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:17:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:

I decided to sit down and build to a
goal, using just the pieces in the 4100 set.  Here are the results:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/misc/flight.jpg

Hey, that came out really nice!

Thanks very much.  :)

What's amazing is how many pieces are leftover!

I like all the curviness on the nose

I was pretty pleased with that.  I used a similar technique on the Jimmy
Neutron Strato XL Rocket Ride(1) that I did a while back.  I really like the
way that slopes and wedges can work together to give a less blocky appearance.

Actually, the helicopter in the #386 set featured two of my favorite slopes.
It had 2 x 2 45 degree double convex (4 in red) and the same size in concave
(2 in white).  So even though it didn't contain any 'rounded' wedges it did
have a reasonably shapely look to it.

and the little stub winglets. Nice model!

Don't you love those wedges?  A 45 --> 90 degree conversion in just the span
of four studs.  I don't know how new they are, but I had never seen them
before the 4100 set.  I had to do a double take when I saw them, to take in
their rather complex shape.

The more I play with these sets the more I like them.

I'm going to be picking up the 4101 Creatures set sometime before the end of
the week. I'm looking forward to more fun with it.

Regards,
Allan B.

(1) http://www.apotome.com/lego/strato/stratoxl.htm