 General / 38778
Re: LEGO Color Reference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 17:27:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Papenfuss writes:
If you want I would be willing to send you a part in Maersk blue for your
reference. Just let me know :)

That's a very kind offer!  I'll definitely take you up on that!  Are you
going to be at NWBrickCon this weekend?

But I did notice some of the colors looked to be off - mostly the lighter
colors, but overall it looks good.

Ya I'm not really happy with those yet either -- I need to get a good look
at some of them again in person.  I'm bringing the application along with
me to NWBrickCon on my laptop and hopefully next week they'll look better.

Where did you get the names for the colors?

Nothing official, just names that have been used around here from time to
time, and then some dummy placeholders.

I see the term "official LEGO colors" used in the disclamer - so does that
mean they are official Lego names?

Some yes and some no.  Sand Green, I think, is an official name -- at least
that's what LEGO calls it externally.  Most of them probably don't match
what LEGO calls things internally.

I -would- love to know the official LEGO names for all the colors, however,
and if anyone at LEGO is listening and would care to help out with this,
please contact me.

That is unclear to me. Also, the wording of the title of the page would
lead me to believe this is official Lego names.

Good point...  I added another sentence to the disclaimer about this.

And I do not use LDraw, so if the names are coming from there I would not
know.

That reminds me, the data internally in the chart has a cross-reference with
the LDraw color numbers, but they're not being displayed (yet).

But ideally Lego names would be great -- if possible -- but if not then it
would be great if the major Lego sites out there (Lugnet, Bricklink, Peeron,
etc) to get together and come up with common names for each color. I think
this is one of the major issues in the Lego world today. So when a person
who lives by Peeron says "I am looking for colr XYZ" to a person who lives
by Bricklink that person would know exactly what the other is talking
about.  Granted this would be an enourmous task, and would be something
major to work out - but would be very helpful to all in the end.

I totally agree.

And also, when you link to pages that contain Lego bricks in colors that
Lego never made this is also a tad confusing. For example, this page:
http://guide.lugnet.com/color/?q=GC03
contains mostly colors that were never made (AFIK) but there is nothing on
there that says "only these colors have been made" or something to that
effect. If people are directly linked to that page they may get the
impression all of those colors have been made. In the end I think this is
more confusing than helpful.

Ya, I was really rushed when I did those sub-pages (wanted to put this up in
whatever form it happened to be in before leaving for NWBrickCon) and it's
definitely confusing and needs more text and helpful stuff.  I'll work on it
some on the airplane to Seattle tonight.  It should also show the LDraw color
number and give links to more information about a color like inventories and
buying and what themes the color has appeared in and all that.

Maybe when you click on a color from the main chart you could be taken to
a page that has more info on that color. Like a link to Peeron that lists
parts made in that color, and maybe a link to that color for sale on
Bricklink.

Definitely!

--Todd