 General / 38770
Re: LEGO Color Reference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 06:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:

* Some colors, particularly the lighter shades of blue, may still need
tweaking.  I've tried to find out everything I can about Maersk blue, but
I haven't seen it in person since BrickFest.  Hopefully I'll get to see it
again at NWBrickCon this weekend.

If you want I would be willing to send you a part in Maersk blue for your
reference. Just let me know :)

But I did notice some of the colors looked to be off - mostly the lighter
colors, but overall it looks good.

* The color names will definitely change, most notably OldDuploRose,
OldFabCowMonkey, and several others which are placeholders.  Names like
LightLightYellow and LightLightBlue obviously also need better alternatives,
and some of the more obscure colors could probably use better names too.

Where did you get the names for the colors? I see the term "official LEGO
colors" used in the disclamer - so does that mean they are official Lego
names? That is unclear to me. Also, the wording of the title of the page
would lead me to believe this is official Lego names. And I do not use
LDraw, so if the names are coming from there I would not know. But ideally
Lego names would be great -- if possible -- but if not then it would be
great if the major Lego sites out there (Lugnet, Bricklink, Peeron, etc) to
get together and come up with common names for each color. I think this is
one of the major issues in the Lego world today. So when a person who lives
by Peeron says "I am looking for colr XYZ" to a person who lives by
Bricklink that person would know exactly what the other is talking about.
Granted this would be an enourmous task, and would be something major to
work out - but would be very helpful to all in the end.

And also, when you link to pages that contain Lego bricks in colors that
Lego never made this is also a tad confusing. For example, this page:
http://guide.lugnet.com/color/?q=GC03
contains mostly colors that were never made (AFIK) but there is nothing on
there that says "only these colors have been made" or something to that
effect. If people are directly linked to that page they may get the
impression all of those colors have been made. In the end I think this is
more confusing than helpful. Maybe when you click on a color from the main
chart you could be taken to a page that has more info on that color. Like a
link to Peeron that lists parts made in that color, and maybe a link to that
color for sale on Bricklink. This would require more work to consolidate
color names as mentioned above - but would be more helpful than the
assortment of unofficial Lego colors listed on a page with the title 'Lego
Color Reference'.

I also think as of now Bricklink has the most complete and accurate color
chart at the moment (pictures are a wonderful thing), so if the names of
your colors could match with that (or if official names are out there then
those should be used). Any color chart that strives to be used as a
reference will have to go through many tweaks and changes and would require
many updates. I think Bricklink's color chart has met that goal in an
awesome way. The colors there are accurate, and the names are descriptive
names - not names of colors that can be confusing. For example, when you say
'Muave' alot of people will look at you with a blank face - but if you say
'Dark Pink' then people can picture that in their head. And for the most
part thats the structure BL uses.

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com