 General / 37498
37497  |  37499
Subject:
Photographer etiquette questionnaire/survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.publish.photography, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:12:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

What do you consider proper etiquette for taking photos at an event like
BrickFest?

I love taking pictures -- but I can get kinda trigger-happy.  Please share
your thoughts on the questions below!

You're an exhibitor...

* Do you take it as a given that there will be lots of people with digital
cameras taking lots of pictures?  Are you cool with that?

* Do you consider it flattering if someone asks to take a picture of your
display?  Are you insulted if someone takes a picture but doesn't ask first?
Are you sad if someone has a camera but doesn't take a picture?

* How do you feel about pictures of your creations showing up online?

* Are you concerned about the use of strobe flashes?

* If I asked to take some close-up photos of your display and I wanted to set
up lighting which might, for a period of time (I dunno, like 10-20 minutes),
get in your way or prevent others from getting a good look at your stuff, how
would that affect you?

You're a strolling attendee...

* Are you camera-shy?  Do you show it or hide it?

* Does a nearby camera distract you?  Does it invigorate you?  Irritate you?

* At what distance do you feel your "personal space" is being entered?

* How do you feel about candids?  When someone takes your photograph, do
you tighten up?  Do you relax?  Do you like to pose?  Do you prefer to be
photographed "naturally" (talking to someone or pondering something)?

* Do you hate being asked to smile for the camera?

* Do you mind being photographed with a telephoto lens from 10-15 feet away?

* Am I being rude if I take your picture without asking you?  If I did this,
and it upset you, would you let me know?

* Do you enjoy participating in group photos?  Large groups?  Small groups?

* How do you feel about pictures of you showing up online?  Would you want
to approve/reject photos of you prior to their being published on a web page
or do you trust the photographer's judgement?

You're a speaker...

* Are flashes a distraction for you?

* If someone takes your photo, are they least likely to distract or annoy you
if they're in the front row, or way in the back, or on the side, or down by
your feet?

You're an event organizer...

* What expectations do you have for photographers at your event?  What rules
do you expect them to abide by?

Thanks -- any feedback is appreciated...

--Todd

[xfut => lugnet.events.brickfest,lugnet.publish.photography]