 Events / BrickFest / 895
Re: Photographer etiquette questionnaire/survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:10:50 GMT

My opinions have largely been stated already, but...

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:

* Do you take it as a given that there will be lots of people with digital
cameras taking lots of pictures?  Are you cool with that?

Yes.

* Do you consider it flattering if someone asks to take a picture of your
display?  Are you insulted if someone takes a picture but doesn't ask first?
Are you sad if someone has a camera but doesn't take a picture?

No.

* How do you feel about pictures of your creations showing up online?

Fine.

* Are you concerned about the use of strobe flashes?

Are you looking at discomfort when flashed in my eyes or damage to the brick
due to repeat strobe exposure?  I hate being "flashed" unexpectedly.  And I
doubt that the limited flashing that would take place at such an event would
damage the brick significantly.

* If I asked to take some close-up photos of your display and I wanted to set
up lighting which might, for a period of time (I dunno, like 10-20 minutes),
get in your way or prevent others from getting a good look at your stuff, how
would that affect you?

If it were merely a display, it wouldn't.  If it were being played with, you
would probably have to wait.

* Are you camera-shy?  Do you show it or hide it?

Vaguely.  Hide it.

* Does a nearby camera distract you?  Does it invigorate you?  Irritate you?

When someone is taking pictures of people, I tend to become a little more
self-aware -- which I find mildly uncomfortable.

* At what distance do you feel your "personal space" is being entered?

~1 meter.

* How do you feel about candids?

Prefer.  Most of what I dislike about being photographed is the time it takes.

* Do you hate being asked to smile for the camera?

I guess I prefer to be reminded at a formal sitting, and think it has no place
in a candid.  I may not choose to smile for a picture even if told to.

* Do you mind being photographed with a telephoto lens from 10-15 feet away?

Prefer.

* Am I being rude if I take your picture without asking you?  If I did this,
and it upset you, would you let me know?

No.  Yes.

* Do you enjoy participating in group photos?  Large groups?  Small groups?

Participating in them is a hassle.  Having them afterward is sometimes quite
nice.  The hassle is most often worth tolerating in order to have a group shot.

* How do you feel about pictures of you showing up online?  Would you want
to approve/reject photos of you prior to their being published on a web page
or do you trust the photographer's judgement?

Don't care.

You're a speaker...

* Are flashes a distraction for you?

Yes.

* If someone takes your photo, are they least likely to distract or annoy you
if they're in the front row, or way in the back, or on the side, or down by
your feet?

Side.  You don't want the flash entering the speaker's eyes.  Shooting from the
side eliminates this problem.

Chris