 Events / BrickFest / 841
Re: Photographer etiquette questionnaire/survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:42:35 GMT

Wow, that's a lot of questions...

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
What do you consider proper etiquette for taking photos at an event like
BrickFest?

I love taking pictures -- but I can get kinda trigger-happy.  Please share
your thoughts on the questions below!

You're an exhibitor...

* Do you take it as a given that there will be lots of people with digital
cameras taking lots of pictures?  Are you cool with that?

That's what happened last year, so I expect the same this year.

* Do you consider it flattering if someone asks to take a picture of your
display?  Are you insulted if someone takes a picture but doesn't ask first?
Are you sad if someone has a camera but doesn't take a picture?

I'm bringing my work to Brickfest specifically to show it off.  As such, I
don't mind at all if people take pictures, whether I'm there or not.  If my
stuff isn't their bag, I don't mind them not taking pictures either.  I'm
pretty easy going, it seems :)

* How do you feel about pictures of your creations showing up online?

Aside from the obvious problems with attributions, it doesn't bother me.

* Are you concerned about the use of strobe flashes?

It's not like the strobes are going to melt the bricks, is it?  As long as
flash isn't used on me when I'm not expecting it, no biggie.

* If I asked to take some close-up photos of your display and I wanted to set
up lighting which might, for a period of time (I dunno, like 10-20 minutes),
get in your way or prevent others from getting a good look at your stuff, how
would that affect you?

Just what are you planning?  Long term disruptions would be annoying, but a
few minutes of time monopolization wouldn't be too bad, I suppose.

You're a strolling attendee...

* Are you camera-shy?  Do you show it or hide it?

Not particularly

* Does a nearby camera distract you?  Does it invigorate you?  Irritate you?

It doesn't do much of anything to me, actually.

* At what distance do you feel your "personal space" is being entered?

1.63847 meters, +/- 6 centimeters.

Seriously though, for just talking, a couple of feet is okay, but if you're
shoving a camera in my face, I'll get bothered.

* How do you feel about candids?  When someone takes your photograph, do
you tighten up?  Do you relax?  Do you like to pose?  Do you prefer to be
photographed "naturally" (talking to someone or pondering something)?

I don't pose well.  I prefer looking like I'm doing something.

* Do you hate being asked to smile for the camera?

Yes.  If I feel like smiling, I'll smile.  If not, I won't.

* Do you mind being photographed with a telephoto lens from 10-15 feet away?

back to candid photography again?

* Am I being rude if I take your picture without asking you?  If I did this,
and it upset you, would you let me know?

Yeah, I'd slug you in the face like Sean Penn.  Actually, it wouldn't bother
me much, just don't make a habit of it.

* Do you enjoy participating in group photos?  Large groups?  Small groups?

I have no opinion either way.

* How do you feel about pictures of you showing up online?  Would you want
to approve/reject photos of you prior to their being published on a web page
or do you trust the photographer's judgement?

Depends on whether I've been drinking and you caught me doing something
stupid.  Otherwise, go for it.  I'm in a public place, after all.

You're a speaker...

* Are flashes a distraction for you?

Probably, yes.

* If someone takes your photo, are they least likely to distract or annoy you
if they're in the front row, or way in the back, or on the side, or down by
your feet?

I'd say the farther away they are from the focus of my attention, the less
distracting.

You're an event organizer...

* What expectations do you have for photographers at your event?  What rules
do you expect them to abide by?

Rules?  We don't need no steeekin' rules!

Politeness and common sense go a long way.

Thanks -- any feedback is appreciated...

You're welcome.  This helped me wast 15 minutes of time at work :)

--Todd

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com