 Events / BrickFest / 843
Re: Photographer etiquette questionnaire/survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:55:37 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
What do you consider proper etiquette for taking photos at an event like
BrickFest?

I love taking pictures -- but I can get kinda trigger-happy.  Please share
your thoughts on the questions below!

You're an exhibitor...

* Do you take it as a given that there will be lots of people with digital
cameras taking lots of pictures?  Are you cool with that?

Yes and totally.  I think it's very much par for the course for displayed
pieces to be photographed.  Anyone who wishes to be an exception to this
might consider a little card or note by their display to reflect that.

* Do you consider it flattering if someone asks to take a picture of your
display?  Are you insulted if someone takes a picture but doesn't ask first?
Are you sad if someone has a camera but doesn't take a picture?

Mildly flattering, but more an expression of courtousy than flattery.  No,
I'm not insulted, no, I don't get sad.

* How do you feel about pictures of your creations showing up online?

It's supa-cool. :)  Credit is always nice, but not necessarily easy to give
in a show setting.

* Are you concerned about the use of strobe flashes?

Lordy nope.

* If I asked to take some close-up photos of your display and I wanted to set
up lighting which might, for a period of time (I dunno, like 10-20 minutes),
get in your way or prevent others from getting a good look at your stuff, how
would that affect you?

Minimally.  If it was a venue like a train show which is specifically there
for public display, I might ask you to wait for a slow period, or I might
just invite you inside the tables so you aren't in the way. ;p

You're a strolling attendee...

* Are you camera-shy?  Do you show it or hide it?

Nope.

* Does a nearby camera distract you?  Does it invigorate you?  Irritate you?

"Camera?  hunh?"  Cameras are below my notice-things threshold unless
they're pointed at me fairly emphatically.

* At what distance do you feel your "personal space" is being entered?

2-3 feet.  At a live gaming event I once had a TV camera guy tracking my
face at literally about 12 inches as I was walking, which drove me nuts.  I
wanted to deck the guy; it was very distracting.

* How do you feel about candids?  When someone takes your photograph, do
you tighten up?  Do you relax?  Do you like to pose?  Do you prefer to be
photographed "naturally" (talking to someone or pondering something)?

Naturally is best; I do bad posed shots.  People are all over the board
here, though; I always ask before taking pictures specifically of people,
because I do know some people that are very camera-shy or senstive to how
they appear on film.

* Do you hate being asked to smile for the camera?

Hate, no.  Look goofy, yes.

* Do you mind being photographed with a telephoto lens from 10-15 feet away?

Nope.

* Am I being rude if I take your picture without asking you?  If I did this,
and it upset you, would you let me know?

It's a bit grey.  If you're specifically taking a picture of *me*, then yes,
it's rude to not ask, but it wouldn't upset me (I don't care much, but some
people do).  If you're taking crowd shots, or pictures of "those guys
running that display there" or "the guys that happen to be drooling over
this cool castle I'm actually taking pictures of" that's a different thing,
I think.

* Do you enjoy participating in group photos?  Large groups?  Small groups?

group photos are cool; it's an excellent source of memory down the road.

* How do you feel about pictures of you showing up online?  Would you want
to approve/reject photos of you prior to their being published on a web page
or do you trust the photographer's judgement?

Meh.  My jot of caring about my picture being posted and a buck will get you
a cup of lousy coffee. :)

You're a speaker...

* Are flashes a distraction for you?

Yes.

* If someone takes your photo, are they least likely to distract or annoy you
if they're in the front row, or way in the back, or on the side, or down by
your feet?

Way in the back or on the side.  Flashes and people moving are the least
disruptive when they are not between the speaker and the audience.  A flash
going off in the first row eclipses (however briefly) the people I'm talking
to.  A flash off to the side or in the back doesn't get between me and what
I'm doing.  It's less like having a strobe light beside my computer screen. ;)

You're an event organizer...

* What expectations do you have for photographers at your event?  What rules
do you expect them to abide by?

When I have organized events (non-Lego) in the past, I've established clear
rules for what photographers *can't* do, and let the rest take care of
itself.  Example text from a Con pamphlet would be something like:

  "Cameras welcome in all venues except film rooms and during live gaming
events.  Please obtain artist's permission before photographing any exhibits
in the gallery."

Thanks -- any feedback is appreciated...

np.  I've got some experience in live game organizing with a community that
has a least a couple extremely camera-sensitive people in it, and can
provide some more feedback along those lines if you like, on- or off-line.

thanks,

James