 Events / BrickFest / 855
Re: Photographer etiquette questionnaire/survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:27:55 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
* Do you take it as a given that there will be lots of people with digital
cameras taking lots of pictures?  Are you cool with that?

Yes.  Yes.  If I were going to Brickfest (and I'm not, sniff), I would be
bringing things for public display.

* Do you consider it flattering if someone asks to take a picture of your
display?  Are you insulted if someone takes a picture but doesn't ask first?
Are you sad if someone has a camera but doesn't take a picture?

Yes.  No.  No.  On this last, I have no idea why someone is taking
pictures--maybe they're just into trains and so they don't care about my
castle, maybe they're interested in specific architecture techniques, etc.
If it were a small enough group (say a LUG meeting with under 10 people) and
someone took photos of everything but my models, I'd be annoyed, but at
something where there are hundreds of models, it would be silly to expect
someone to photograph everything.

* How do you feel about pictures of your creations showing up online?

Again, I'd be taking a model for public display.  When I put up pictures
from a LUG meeting on my website, I try to be careful about correct
attributions and making links to the creators website or Brickshelf gallery.
This is probably impossible with something as large as Brickfest, though.

* Are you concerned about the use of strobe flashes?

Nope.

* If I asked to take some close-up photos of your display and I wanted to set
up lighting which might, for a period of time (I dunno, like 10-20 minutes),
get in your way or prevent others from getting a good look at your stuff, how
would that affect you?

10-20 minutes would bother me, 2-5 would not.

You're a strolling attendee...

All of these questions come down to what others have said.  If you are
taking a photo specifically of me, I would want you to ask (I'd say yes),
and I wouldn't mind posing or being asked to say "cheese" etc.  If you are
just taking crowd shots or I'm one of the people looking at a MOC or
something I wouldn't care at all.

You're a speaker...

I'm not, but I would think it would be fine if the photographer were at the
side or in the back, not down in the front.  I think it would also be really
reasonable to ask the speaker to take a close up photo before or after the
event.  Then some candid ones during the talk from the side or back.

You're an event organizer...

Again I'm not, but pretty much the same answer as with the "You're a speaker
..." question.

Have fun, everybody!  I'm looking forward to seeing all the photos on
Brickshelf.

Bruce