 Events / BrickFest / 842
Re: Photographer etiquette questionnaire/survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:43:00 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
What do you consider proper etiquette for taking photos at an event like
BrickFest?

I love taking pictures -- but I can get kinda trigger-happy.  Please share
your thoughts on the questions below!

You're an exhibitor...

* Do you take it as a given that there will be lots of people with digital
cameras taking lots of pictures?  Are you cool with that?

Yes, yes. (it is an unreasonable expectation not to get pics taken of stuff,
sharing ideas is part of being a fan!)

* Do you consider it flattering if someone asks to take a picture of your
display?  Are you insulted if someone takes a picture but doesn't ask first?
Are you sad if someone has a camera but doesn't take a picture?

Yes, no, no.

* How do you feel about pictures of your creations showing up online?

Depends. With proper credit (or at least presented as "these are pics I took
of creations") it's fine.

* Are you concerned about the use of strobe flashes?

maybe a little if they are distracting.

* If I asked to take some close-up photos of your display and I wanted to set
up lighting which might, for a period of time (I dunno, like 10-20 minutes),
get in your way or prevent others from getting a good look at your stuff, how
would that affect you?

I think 10 minutes is a bit excessive. 2 min would be OK

You're a strolling attendee...

* Are you camera-shy?  Do you show it or hide it?

I don't particularly like having my picture taken but have learned to deal.

* Does a nearby camera distract you?  Does it invigorate you?  Irritate you?

It can be distracting especially to others if I am talking to them and they
start preening for the camera. (which I do too!!)

* At what distance do you feel your "personal space" is being entered?

I'm American so somewhere around 18-24 inches unlike europeans..

* How do you feel about candids?  When someone takes your photograph, do
you tighten up?  Do you relax?  Do you like to pose?  Do you prefer to be
photographed "naturally" (talking to someone or pondering something)?

Prefer candids. I tighten up and start posing (not because I want to) so
catch me by surprise I guess.

* Do you hate being asked to smile for the camera?

Yes. Don't like my smile.

* Do you mind being photographed with a telephoto lens from 10-15 feet away?

Prefer it.

* Am I being rude if I take your picture without asking you?  If I did this,
and it upset you, would you let me know?

No. (part of Brickfest!) If it did upset me (which it won't) you can be sure
I'd let you know.

* Do you enjoy participating in group photos?  Large groups?  Small groups?

Not really.

* How do you feel about pictures of you showing up online?  Would you want
to approve/reject photos of you prior to their being published on a web page
or do you trust the photographer's judgement?

Don't like it. Prefer to reject but have to trust.

You're a speaker...

* Are flashes a distraction for you?

Yes. Get a camera that doesn't need them! But they are part of the territory
too.

* If someone takes your photo, are they least likely to distract or annoy you
if they're in the front row, or way in the back, or on the side, or down by
your feet?

Side.

You're an event organizer...

* What expectations do you have for photographers at your event?  What rules
do you expect them to abide by?

N/A.