 Events / BrickFest / 845
Re: Photographer etiquette questionnaire/survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:19:06 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Lehman" <todd@lugnet.com>
To: <lugnet.events.brickfest@lugnet.com>;
<lugnet.publish.photography@lugnet.com>; <lugnet.general@lugnet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 12:12 PM
Subject: Photographer etiquette questionnaire/survey

What do you consider proper etiquette for taking photos at an event • like
BrickFest?

I love taking pictures -- but I can get kinda trigger-happy.  Please • share
your thoughts on the questions below!

You're an exhibitor...

* Do you take it as a given that there will be lots of people with • digital
cameras taking lots of pictures?  Are you cool with that?

Sure!  That's what the event is for. :-)

* Do you consider it flattering if someone asks to take a picture of • your
display?  Are you insulted if someone takes a picture but doesn't ask • first?
Are you sad if someone has a camera but doesn't take a picture?

Absolutely, Not at all, Not really... Space on cameras is still limited,
after all.

* How do you feel about pictures of your creations showing up online?

As long as the creations are credited to me, or at least not credited to
the photographer or the wrong person, I have no problem with that.

* Are you concerned about the use of strobe flashes?

Not sure about that.

* If I asked to take some close-up photos of your display and I wanted • to set
up lighting which might, for a period of time (I dunno, like 10-20 • minutes),
get in your way or prevent others from getting a good look at your • stuff, how
would that affect you?

I'd probably consider it quite a complement, unless you were doing it
for every display.  :-)  Either way, it probably wouldn't bother me
much.

You're a strolling attendee...

* Are you camera-shy?  Do you show it or hide it?

Not really.  Mostly just ignore cameras, but not to the point of ruining
other people's pictures.

* Does a nearby camera distract you?  Does it invigorate you?
Irritate you?

Nope, mostly just ignore them, as above.

* At what distance do you feel your "personal space" is being entered?

This would depend totally on the circumstances.

* How do you feel about candids?  When someone takes your photograph, • do
you tighten up?  Do you relax?  Do you like to pose?  Do you prefer to • be
photographed "naturally" (talking to someone or pondering something)?

Candids I don't mind, but I hate being caught on film in one of those
posistions that normally only last for a split second, but when
stretched out into an eternity on film look rather strange.

* Do you hate being asked to smile for the camera?

It only bothers me because I have to remember which muscles to tug on to
get something that isn't hideous.

* Do you mind being photographed with a telephoto lens from 10-15 feet
away?

Depends.  I'd rather not have a mug shot taken from such a distance, I
guess.

* Am I being rude if I take your picture without asking you?  If I did • this,
and it upset you, would you let me know?

If it was just mainly of me, then I'd consider that rude.  If part of a
group, or an activity and I am just in the picture, then I wouldn't
consider that rude.  I'd let you know.

* Do you enjoy participating in group photos?  Large groups?  Small
groups?

Doesn't matter.

* How do you feel about pictures of you showing up online?  Would you • want
to approve/reject photos of you prior to their being published on a • web page
or do you trust the photographer's judgement?

Don't really mind, as long as the pictures aren't of the eternal odd
variety that I mentioned above.

N/A for the rest of these.

-Andy Lynch

You're a speaker...

* Are flashes a distraction for you?

* If someone takes your photo, are they least likely to distract or • annoy you
if they're in the front row, or way in the back, or on the side, or • down by
your feet?

You're an event organizer...

* What expectations do you have for photographers at your event?  What • rules
do you expect them to abide by?