 General / 32250
Re: Finding Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:32:45 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.general, Geordan Hankinson writes:

It's funny how I always seem to find Lego and not little army men or things
like that, It's always Lego! But I'm not complaning!

I think there is a definite tendency to "notice what we have/like"... I know
with respect to automobiles, I tend to notice how many Durangos there are
because we own one but hardly ever notice Explorers or Suburbans...

I don't know Larry, after reading this at school today.  I walked home
and saw two Durango's and said "Hey, that's Larry's car.  You've
corrupted me.

So your pattern recognising brain might not be seeing the other stuff as
clearly. :-) What do others think?

I thought a lot about search images this summer when I was looking for
plants in the field that have been tagged with a little numbered
aluminum disc.  It's amazing that sometimes we could spot them 10 meters
away (the discs are only about 3 centimenters wide) once we got the
right 'search image'.

There's a whole subfield of ecology called 'optimal foraging theory'
that involves this concept of a search image.  It mainly deals with
predator-prey relationships and how the relative abundances of the prey
dictate how an animal will behave when it encounters a prey species.
One example is, If the predator encounters a prey that it rarely sees-
it may pass it by as a food source because it so rarely encountered.  it
also ties together the energy spent on searching for food and the
probability of getting killed while searching, and so on....

What does this have to do with LEGO?  Just think back to the k8 room on
the last day of brickfest ;)  seriously, it may explain why we can find
lego in the oddest of places and why it's frustrating to try to find the
essential last piece to your MOC...

This could be another study for the "journal of irreproducable
results",  I've got my clipboard and data sheets ready.  who's coming
over to my house to help ne conduct an experiment. :)

-chris