 General / 29288
Re: Creator is here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:54:00 GMT

sheree rosenkrantz wrote:

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
I went by Zany Brainy (in Raleigh NC) tonight to use my $5 off a $20
purchase coupon.

ZB didn't send me a coupon this time.  Maybe it's lost in the mail.  When
does it expire?

April 1. The Zany Brainy in Raleigh had a bunch at the counter (I may
actually go by tomorrow and see if they are handing out coupons and pick
up another copy of 4176).

Wondering what I would buy, I found two Creator sets,
4175 Adventures With Max and Tina, $19.99, 220 pcs, 2 Creator figs; and
4176 The Race of the Year, $24.99, 325 pcs, 3 Creator figs.

No sign of 4172? or any of the smaller sets?

Nope. Even asked the folks in back (they were actually playing with a an
Air Tube Hangar - I should have mentioned Lugnet and NCLUG to them).

These sets look to be the replacement for Freestyle/Basic. They have the
complete parts list on the side.

The Creator figures are just under 6 bricks tall, which makes them
taller than Fabuland figures.

So this makes them Mickey Mouse size?  If this is the case then the
freestyle door unit is the wrong size for the Creator figure- too short.  A
Fabuland door unit would have been a more apppropriate choice.

Yea, the door is just a bit short. You're right, a Fabuland door fits
better. It looks like the top of their head is about the same height as
Mickey. Their heads are reasonably sized compared to their bodies. The
torsos are mostly rectangular, but are a little rounded on the edges at
the side, and are rounded on top (and the printing extends over their
shoulder).

Printed?

Yea, some printed bricks, a couple grey 2x2 medium slopes with airplane
controls, some eye and mouth bricks, some slopes, and a red 1x4 brick
w/wrench auto repair logo.

2 brown paddles

Are these the same size as used by a Belville figure or the size used by a
minifig?

Minifig.

The idea books in these sets are nice.

How many pages do they have?  What is the size of the page?  Pictures only
or pictures and text?

Approx. 6"x8". 28 pages for 4175, 32 for 4176.

The sets
have a few juniorized pieces 4x10 bricks w/axle pegs, new style
helicopter skids, and few other bits, but that is no more than Freestyle
has had for many years. A decent collection of parts is provided,
including some formerly rare colors.

such as....

Grey, dark grey, and green (ok, so for the most part these are uncommon
colors, but grey and dark grey haven't been in Freestyle/Basic sets for
the most part).

If you want to see the truth of them, feel free to arrange to come by
tomorrow late afternoon...

Frank