 General / 29277
Re: Creator is here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:30:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
I went by Zany Brainy (in Raleigh NC) tonight to use my $5 off a $20
purchase coupon.

ZB didn't send me a coupon this time.  Maybe it's lost in the mail.  When
does it expire?

Wondering what I would buy, I found two Creator sets,
4175 Adventures With Max and Tina, $19.99, 220 pcs, 2 Creator figs; and
4176 The Race of the Year, $24.99, 325 pcs, 3 Creator figs.

No sign of 4172? or any of the smaller sets?

These sets look to be the replacement for Freestyle/Basic. They have the
complete parts list on the side.

The Creator figures are just under 6 bricks tall, which makes them
taller than Fabuland figures.

So this makes them Mickey Mouse size?  If this is the case then the
freestyle door unit is the wrong size for the Creator figure- too short.  A
Fabuland door unit would have been a more apppropriate choice.

They look decent, and could make good
giants for minifig creations. One bad thing is that the hands do not
rotate.

Fabuland figures don't have rotating hands either, so I can live with this.

The heads are not on the ball joint of almost every other large
scale LEGO figure, so they only rotate.

:-(

The heads are mildly sculpted,
but are still LEGO flesh yellow (i.e. plain ole yellow). The torso
printing is nicely detailed, and printed front and back.

Are any other figures/minfigs printed front and back?  I have been thinking
about the really out of this world stickers that Kyle Peterson (f/ Castle)
has been designing  and wondering if front and back would be appropriate for
some of them.  I couldn't recall any minifig that had print front and back.
Thought it might be considered taboo.

The figures do
not come apart at all (I haven't pulled real hard on anything yet, but a
good tug won't loosen anything). I suspect these figures will go over
well with younger kids.

and maybe with some big kids too :-)

Cool parts in 4176:

2 antifreeze 2x2 round bricks

Printed?

<snip>

1 red 2x4x3 3+ window w/white insert
1 red 2x6x6 3+ door w/white insert

too short???

12 large hub tires
4 each large hubs in white, yellow, and grey
a bunch of red bricks and slopes
various other bits which I don't feel like typing in

This set builds three race cars and a small building, or you can browse
the idea book for more ideas.

Cool Parts in 4175

<snip>

2 brown paddles

Are these the same size as used by a Belville figure or the size used by a
minifig?

1 monkey
bunches more stuff I don't feel like typing in.

This set builds a couple small cars, a canoe, a bunch of animals, and a
small house, or you can browse the idea book for more ideas.

The idea books in these sets are nice.

How many pages do they have?  What is the size of the page?  Pictures only
or pictures and text?

They show a wide variety of
things, everything from vehicles, to buildings, to animals, to robots,
to a sleigh and reindeer, to a cellphone in charging cradle.

sounds interesting

The sets
have a few juniorized pieces 4x10 bricks w/axle pegs, new style
helicopter skids, and few other bits, but that is no more than Freestyle
has had for many years. A decent collection of parts is provided,
including some formerly rare colors.

such as....

The sets are also thankfully under
10 cents a piece (though they are somewhat more expensive than the
Freestyle sets used to be).

Based on these two sets, I'm looking forward to the rest. I'm curious
how many transparent bricks 4119 will have and in what colors. I notice
that 4174 isn't listed, but the UK catalog I have shows what would
appear to be a cafe set with parts which don't look like they're in any
of the other sets, so I'm suspicious that 4174 is a cafe set, in which
case it looks like a cool set. The UK catalog also has a picture of a
car with teal parts.

Frank

Thanks for the report.  [hmmm or is it a very elaborate prank ;-) ...ZB
always sends me coupons....]

sheree