 General / 29270
Re: Creator is here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 04:44:57 GMT

The racing set looks like it has a lot of great parts for a reasonable
price!

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
I went by Zany Brainy (in Raleigh NC) tonight to use my $5 off a $20
purchase coupon. Wondering what I would buy, I found two Creator sets,
4175 Adventures With Max and Tina, $19.99, 220 pcs, 2 Creator figs; and
4176 The Race of the Year, $24.99, 325 pcs, 3 Creator figs.

These sets look to be the replacement for Freestyle/Basic. They have the
complete parts list on the side.

The Creator figures are just under 6 bricks tall, which makes them
taller than Fabuland figures. They look decent, and could make good
giants for minifig creations. One bad thing is that the hands do not
rotate. The heads are not on the ball joint of almost every other large
scale LEGO figure, so they only rotate. The heads are mildly sculpted,
but are still LEGO flesh yellow (i.e. plain ole yellow). The torso
printing is nicely detailed, and printed front and back. The figures do
not come apart at all (I haven't pulled real hard on anything yet, but a
good tug won't loosen anything). I suspect these figures will go over
well with younger kids.

Cool parts in 4176:

1 chrome 2x2 round brick!
2 chrome 1x1x4 antenna!
1 chrome 1x4x2 railing w/2 top studs!
2 chrome straight pipe sections
2 chrome elbow pipe sections
2 red 1x4x6 3 section windows w/trans-light blue glass
2 trans light blue 2x4x4 inverted windshield
2 white lamp posts
2 black 1x8x3 rail fences
3 yellow 1x4x2 picket fences
2 black classic space flex hose
10 grey 1x2 bricks
4 grey 2x2 bricks
2 grey 2x3 bricks
2 grey 2x4 bricks
1 dark grey 4x8 plate
1 dark grey 3x6 1/2 octagon plate
2 dark grey 2x3 low slope
6 dark grey 1x6 low slope
2 dark grey 2x3 inverse low slope
2 dark grey 1x3 inverse low slope
2 dark grey 1x2 brick w/2 click hinge fingers
2 dark grey 1x2 brick w/1 click hinge finger
1 2x2 flag w/octan print
1 2x2 flag w/checkerboard print
1 white 4x8 plate
4 green 1x4 bricks
4 green 1x2 bricks
4 green 2x2 bricks
1 green 2x10 brick
2 green 2x3 low slopes
2 green 2x3 inverse low slopes
a bunch of black bricks and plates
1 red 6x6 plate
1 red 6x8 plate
1 red 6x10 plate
1 yellow 4x8 plate
a bunch of yellow bricks and slopes
2 antifreeze 2x2 round bricks
1 red 2x4x3 3+ window w/white insert
1 red 2x6x6 3+ door w/white insert
12 large hub tires
4 each large hubs in white, yellow, and grey
a bunch of red bricks and slopes
various other bits which I don't feel like typing in

This set builds three race cars and a small building, or you can browse
the idea book for more ideas.

Cool Parts in 4175

2 chrome 1x1x4 antenna
1 chrome 1x4x2 railing w/2 studs on top
1 trans green 2x4x2 windshield
1 trans dark blue 2x4x2 windshield
1 3x4 low slope w/tiger printing
1 green 1x2 brick w/funny eyes (different from the usual printed bricks)
2 dark grey 1x1 brick w/printed eyes (cool new color for these)
3 white 1x4x2 picket fence
2 yellow 1x6x2 arches
2 green 1x1 brick w/3 leaves off one side (Ninja)
4 dark grey 1x2 bricks
1 dark grey 2x2 brick
4 dark grey 2x4 bricks
2 dakr grey 2x6 bricks
1 dark grey 2x10 plate
2 dark grey 1x6 plate
2 dark grey 1x3 inverse low slope
2 dark grey 1x3 low slope
4 dark grey 2x2 medium slope
4 dark grey 2x2 inverse medium slope
4 dark grey 3x4 brick w/rounded end (cool, someone had a roof made of
these, now they can do it...)
1 red 1x2x2 brick w/fruit printed on it (they get to dine on grapes, a
peach, a bannana, and an apple - though for some reason, LEGOLanders
seem to like their apples green, there are very few red ones, this fruit
basket is no different)
2 brown paddles
1 monkey
bunches more stuff I don't feel like typing in.

This set builds a couple small cars, a canoe, a bunch of animals, and a
small house, or you can browse the idea book for more ideas.

The idea books in these sets are nice. They show a wide variety of
things, everything from vehicles, to buildings, to animals, to robots,
to a sleigh and reindeer, to a cellphone in charging cradle. The sets
have a few juniorized pieces 4x10 bricks w/axle pegs, new style
helicopter skids, and few other bits, but that is no more than Freestyle
has had for many years. A decent collection of parts is provided,
including some formerly rare colors. The sets are also thankfully under
10 cents a piece (though they are somewhat more expensive than the
Freestyle sets used to be).

Based on these two sets, I'm looking forward to the rest. I'm curious
how many transparent bricks 4119 will have and in what colors. I notice
that 4174 isn't listed, but the UK catalog I have shows what would
appear to be a cafe set with parts which don't look like they're in any
of the other sets, so I'm suspicious that 4174 is a cafe set, in which
case it looks like a cool set. The UK catalog also has a picture of a
car with teal parts.

Frank