 General / 29287
Re: History of wheel and tire designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:17:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:
"paul hanson" <pghanson@mindspring.com> writes:
In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:
[...]  When the electric set came out, it included red hubs with a
Technic axle hole, and two white 8x axles.  It also included a
"caterpillar" tread that would span two of these wheels spaced several
studs apart.  I still have this, though my motor is burned out.

My motor didn't have the holes for Technic axles (though I often wished it
had) - just four tiny holes where the metal pin of the hubs got inserted.

That's odd.  The big black motor that's like a stack of bricks 4x8,
4x12, and 4x8x1.33?  Mine has one axle hole offset 2 studs from one of
the paris of metal-pin-holes.  The other axle would go in a grey 2x4
brick that was riddled with axle-holes.  It was intended for use with
the tracks to make a bulldozer or tank.

There definitely was an earlier motor, which didnt have the hole for the
technic axles. Compare http://guide.lugnet.com/set/900_1 and
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/901_1.

I think set 901 only came in black, but 900 came in both blue and black (Gary
can probably tell you for sure) - mine's blue, but no longer in working
condition 8?(

Regards,

ROSCO