 General / 29326
Re: History of wheel and tire designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:56:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:
>"paul hanson" <pghanson@mindspring.com> writes:
In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:
[...]  When the electric set came out, it included red hubs with a
Technic axle hole, and two white 8x axles.  It also included a
"caterpillar" tread that would span two of these wheels spaced several
studs apart.  I still have this, though my motor is burned out.

My motor didn't have the holes for Technic axles (though I often wished it
had) - just four tiny holes where the metal pin of the hubs got inserted.

That's odd.  The big black motor that's like a stack of bricks 4x8,
4x12, and 4x8x1.33?  Mine has one axle hole offset 2 studs from one of
the paris of metal-pin-holes.  The other axle would go in a grey 2x4
brick that was riddled with axle-holes.  It was intended for use with
the tracks to make a bulldozer or tank.

Yep, the big oddly-brick shaped motor. No holes for Technic axles (though I
could press a medium Technic gear onto the studs of one of the 2x2 red hubs
to get it to drive a Technic creation).

I have a couple of wheelsets that are the 2x2 brick with a metal axle, and
the tires permanantly attached - but the tires are the treaded variety we
know today. I also have quite a lot of 2x2 plates with the metal axle and
tires (treaded) permanantly attached. I got most of these from the earliest
classic space sets ('79-'80).

Tires permanently attached, or wheel hubs permanently attached?  As
far as I know, all Lego rubber tires were capable of coming off their
hubs.  It's possible that some of the early Town sets had 2x2 black
bricks with the metal axle, but I thought the change of tires went
along with the change from brick to plate.  In any case the tires are
interchangeable between those two types.

You're right - HUBS permanantly attached. But I'm 99% certain about it being
a treaded tire on a 2x2 BRICK. Odd, I know - I'll see if I can dig up the
instructions and find out what set it was.

- Paul

--Bill.