 General / 26389
26388  |  26390
Subject:
What would it take?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:33:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

With the recent Microsoft announcement, a number of us have expressed
opinions of varying negativity for reasons ranging from the well-founded to
the kneejerk.  Similarly, following the implementation of the bulk sale
service, quite a few people voiced disapproval because of limited part
availablity, limited access by country, inadequate server resources, and a
host of other complaints.  The Train competition was met with ridicule on
the grounds of copyright infringement and the knell of doom for Trains as a
system.  Even the mention of a proposed build-your-own-set program has
generated more "they'll steal my ideas" posts than "boy, that's great" or
even "wait and see."
  Is there anything TLC can actually do that won't piss us off?  What would
it take for them to please the bulk of LUGNETers?  Obviously, short of
giving us all the free bricks we could ever need, there's no panacea, but
can't we at least agree that we're on the verge of being better off
Lego-wise than ever before?  Yes, Juniorization stinks.  Yes, much of the
2001 product line is uninspired and uninspiring.  Yes, it would be nice if
Brad et al could post to LUGNET 24/7.  But these are things we have to deal
with, and given the other option (that is, continued disavowal of AFOL's at
large), can't we at least bide our time until all the votes are counted?
Why the rush to condemn every initiative attempted by TLC?
  I'm mostly just airing my views, since I know the likely answers to most
of the above questions, and I've read through the various diatribes on the
respective subjects...

     Dave!