 Dear LEGO / 2802
Re: What would it take?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:55:29 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Dave Schuler writes:

<snip>

Is there anything TLC can actually do that won't piss us off?  What would
it take for them to please the bulk of LUGNETers?

<Snip>

I think alot of us are still bitter over the introduction of juniorisation
nad the change in marketing strategy. I think for many, it came as a total
surprise. Most of us grew up during the "Golden Age" of Lego (1980-1995). We
were all used to having quality sets that were fun to build, versatile, good
values, etc. There were few a regular themes that we knew would be back the
following year and the sets were available for 3 to 5 years!

Now, themes change for one year to the next. The sets are juniorized,
contain large parts that are of little use for anything other than their
original function and contain less pieces (Yet the prices have remained
higher). Some sets have a shelf life of one year or sometimes a couple of
months! Some popular parts are more difficult to obtain, if not completely
gone (For example, take vehicle doors. They used to be on practically every
Town set, now, we are lucky to get one vehicle with doors per year).

However, there is hope. Most of the initiatives put forward by TLC recently
have some promise. Bulk Paks are not bad, despite their price. The selection
will increase in time. The create-your-own-set software coming next year has
some potential, depending on what parts selection is like on the CD. And I
agree that some of the negative responses to the train contest were a little
extreme. However, I believe they are more indicative of people with a true
passion for their hobby that feel that they have let down too often in the
last 4 or 5 years.

Truth is, for a long time TLC did everything right. In 1997, they tried
something new, and for a while they did everything wrong. Now, they are
getting some right, some wrong. But that is what happens when you try to
reinvent yourself: you make some mistakes along the way and it takes time to
find yourself again. We often accuse TLC of dumbing-down their products,
catering to those who aren't patient enough to put together a complex set
and those who want instant gratification. Yet, we are guilty (myself
included) of wanting the same thing. We want everything from TLC done right
and done now.

I guess we just have to be patient and take the wait-and-see approach.

I'll get off my soap box now ;-)

Just my 2 pennies...
KZ