 Dear LEGO / 2810
Re: zactly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:25:28 GMT

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:27:46 GMT, "Timothy D. Freshly"
<timfreshly@i2020.net> wrote:

In sum, I don't want Lego to change.  I love it as it is - the best building
and creative system ever.  By changing, Lego is shifting focus from what
they are known for (bricks) and are becoming just another toy company.
However, if they would develop their core product (bricks and sets), Lego
would be able to strengthen its brand and value, thus keeping its loyal
customers and also bringing new consumers into the fold (voila - increased
market share).  Let's hope that it happens.

Sorry for the rambling post.

Tim

[1]  On a related topic, I really dislike and disagree with the assumption
that less pieces per set are needed to hold the interest of today's child.
To me, this is completely backwords.  True, some children would be turned
off by more complex set designs but, in the long run, it would be better to
lose a few short attention span children, then to lose a lot of others who
would be challenged and enthralled by the possibilities (as I imagine all of
us AFOLs are - why else would we be so loyal?)  Lego - don't play to the
lowest common denominator!  It's OK to focus on a higher quality consumer (I
would venture to guess that a higher quality consumer is also a very loyal
consumer - by "quality" I mean a consumer who realizes the potential of the
product and is stimulated and encouraged by the possibilities, rather than
turned away because it is "too hard" or "too challenging").

I feel I need to point this out, LEGO has *ALREADY* changed, I want it
to change MORE, preferably towards the style of sets that they used to
make.  If that's not possible, then towards quality designed sets that
are overly juniorized.  I can use the parts for my own creations as
long as it doesn't become too Playmobile like, if I wanted that, I'd
go and buy Playmobile....

I have come to the conclusion that junorization is not  *ALL* bad, it
provides a starting place for kids that have the short attention
spans.  But there needs to be steps up from that because the gap
between juniorized pieces and either Technic or Model Team is a doozy.
I am currently hopeful the LEGO is moving in the right direction but
only time will tell if they make it.

In the mean time, Play Well :^)
Mike
--
All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)