 Dear LEGO / 2806
2805  |  2807
Subject:
zactly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 20:55:12 GMT

hooray Amy,
well said.  I too have been comptering since the mid70s and abhor
mediocrity in all of its nasty nasty forms.

specialized toys are faddish and never last, while traditional
Lego, by being merely a component, can be reused for ever to
build whatever your heart desires that week/year/etc.

If lego embraces mediocrity it will be a sad sad day, but
all that will happen is that another company will arrive
to fill the niche.

as far as the reasons for their strategic klutzing about:
they are privately owned by a guy who is totally out of
touch w/ reality (look @ the recent cowboys and indians
flop, jeez).  the catch 22 is that if lego stays the same
they lose market share, if they change, they lose the market
share from us traditionalists.

how does one change and yet stay the same?  isn't that the
dilemma we all face in life?

imho, they should change the 'themes' and keep the lego identity:
basic kickass blocks and pieces

-paul

In lugnet.dear-lego, Amy Hughes writes:
I do believe that MS tramples innovation and sabotages standards, and that
these things have harmed the computing industry and all computer users. But
that's not why I hate MS. I just hate mediocrity. And when I see useful
companies like LEGO lapping up as much mediocrity as they can fill their
bellies with, I must groan.

It's like having a friend who'll only eat at McDonalds.

On the verge? No, I think we're already there, for some of the reasons you
listed. And even Microsoft probably won't hurt that too much. But if you're
wondering why "Juniorization stinks" and "the 2001 product line is uninspired
and uninspiring", you need look no further than other decisions the company
makes. They are embracing mediocrity.

Amy