 Dear LEGO / 2820
Re: What would it take?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 04:29:03 GMT

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
news:G72BJq.L6y@lugnet.com...
With the recent Microsoft announcement, a number of us have expressed
opinions of varying negativity for reasons ranging from the well-founded • to
the kneejerk.  Similarly, following the implementation of the bulk sale
service, quite a few people voiced disapproval because of limited part
availablity, limited access by country, inadequate server resources, and a
host of other complaints.  The Train competition was met with ridicule on
the grounds of copyright infringement and the knell of doom for Trains as • a
system.  Even the mention of a proposed build-your-own-set program has
generated more "they'll steal my ideas" posts than "boy, that's great" or
even "wait and see."
  Is there anything TLC can actually do that won't piss us off?  What • would
it take for them to please the bulk of LUGNETers?  Obviously, short of
giving us all the free bricks we could ever need, there's no panacea, but
can't we at least agree that we're on the verge of being better off
Lego-wise than ever before?  Yes, Juniorization stinks.  Yes, much of the
2001 product line is uninspired and uninspiring.  Yes, it would be nice if
Brad et al could post to LUGNET 24/7.  But these are things we have to • deal
with, and given the other option (that is, continued disavowal of AFOL's • at
large), can't we at least bide our time until all the votes are counted?
Why the rush to condemn every initiative attempted by TLC?
  I'm mostly just airing my views, since I know the likely answers to most
of the above questions, and I've read through the various diatribes on the
respective subjects...

I'm glad you brought this up. I agree most of what you're saying here. This
is, BY FAR, the most significant effort Lego has ever made to reach to
AFOLs. I've done my share of complaining ;) but when positive behavior is
exhibited, it should be encouraged. For example, take this bulk sale
service. I've got my problems with it, but for townies there are a few
pieces in there avialable at what I consider a *good* price so I'm shutting
up and buying them hoping for more.

I think part of the problem is that AFOLs have it so easy nowadays. I can
remember the days when this was a barren frontier, when the only AFOL
presence I ever saw was a few posts a day on alt.toys.lego (if that) and we
weren't even a grain of sand to TLG. We've got it pretty good nowadays
folks. Not to say there isn't room to do better (there always is) but some
chilling out needs to happen. S***ing all over every new  initiative Lego
attempts is, at the very least, unproductive, and at worst will turn TLG off
completely. Lego doesn't have to do anything for us. They don't owe us a
damn thing. Remember that. Easy come, easy go.