 General / 25163
Re: How do you view your LEGO collection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 04:44:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
Do you view your LEGO collection as an investment in your...

A.  Mental Well-being.  (Its just something you have fun with).
B.  A financial investment that should increase in value over time.
C.  A tool for financial gain (you sell your creations and/or parts)
D.  Other
E.  Some combination of the above.

F. Like a monkey on my back that demands to be fed.  Constantly.

Ok, that's how I feel lately, with the almost nightly stops at Toys R Us on the
drive home from work, the extended drive to the boonies seeking Wal*Marts for
new SW sets, but it's not really true.  I feel mostly A.

I agree with you about the possibility of true custom sets or bulk ordering- I
see them as happy things.  I would definitely like to have full access to every
part ever made in any color... that would rule, and make building that much
more fun.

I also agree with the person who said that havig a rare piece gives me a little
thrill.  I dunno if it's selfish, or if I just think it's cool that I have a
rare piece, or what have you...  but I can also honestly say that if every rare
piece I had was being sold new from LEGO for $.10 per brinck tomorrow, I'd be
in line with everyone else to get more of them, and I wouldn't at all feel
downtrodden because my once-rare bricks now weren't.

I think there are definitely some people that would feel somewhat burned in
having spent money on sets to get old discontinued parts, or having bought
multiple copies of a set to get certain parts in certain colors.  I've done the
same thing, but I learned a long time ago to consider each such purchase
carefully, and think to myself "what if this was suddenly available in large
quantities tomorrow?"  If I think that I would be upset about how much I had
spent on the item today, then I don't buy it.  I will admit it's a lesson I
learned in other collectable fields, but it applies to any secondhand market,
including LEGO.

eric

I feel your pain. I went to 3 Wal-Marts, 1 Target, 3 K-Marts, 2 Toys R' Us
only to find it at my local wal-mart after giving up. All they had was the
new SW shuttle and I didn't even have a check to bounce for it. sigh...

Darrell