 General / 25121
Re: How do you view your LEGO collection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:09:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
Do you view your LEGO collection as an investment in your...

A.  Mental Well-being.  (Its just something you have fun with).
B.  A financial investment that should increase in value over time.
C.  A tool for financial gain (you sell your creations and/or parts)
D.  Other
E.  Some combination of the above.

<snipped>

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

Eric,

I have to go with primarily A, some B (especially as I approach the point at
which I wish to retire and B turns into C).

My current goals include the following, listed in order of time spent.

1) Gather examples of all the individual elements from past through present.
Thanks to my discovery of LUGNET and eBay and so many people out there with
old LEGO for sale or trade, my element collection has gone from about 2,500
different to over 3,000 different elements (I am speaking of individual
shapes only - I do not count color variations or printed/decorated). Many of
which I was unaware until I saw them as part of "some old lot" on eBay. I
haven't come to the end of my quest, but I am constantly learning more about
what I need and my 'missing' list is shrinking ;-).

If anyone out there thinks they have a piece I don't (LEGO, Duplo, Primo,
Technic, Scala, Fabuland, Belville, Modulex, Original Binding Blocks,
Samsonite Distributed, etc.), let me know and we can compare notes.

2) Gather all the pieces required for construction of some very large models
I have had in development since as far back as 1978. I am nearing the end of
the quest for one of my designs now (the one I had 95% of the design
completed in '78, but only after 22+ years, have the pieces to realize it).
This is, again, thanks to eBay, Brickbay and LEGO Direct.

3) Provide as much information about pieces as I am able to anyone who asks.

4) Try to capture and document all the information I have (pictures,
drawings, notes). Unfortunately, I do not spend enough time at this task. I
hope to change that when I can remove myself from the labor-for-pay pool.

Wayne