 General / 25258
Re: How do you view your LEGO collection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 04:00:08 GMT

I'm definitely an "A" person.  I wouldn't sell my LEGO for any price!

Eric Kingsley <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
Do you view your LEGO collection as an investment in your...

A.  Mental Well-being.  (Its just something you have fun with).
B.  A financial investment that should increase in value over time.
C.  A tool for financial gain (you sell your creations and/or parts)
D.  Other
E.  Some combination of the above.

I realize many of you would answer E but I have been wondering about this
because of some of the recent threads that I have seen involving people • being
Upset about bulk ordering decreasing the value of their collection or • other
people seem to think they hold some copyright on a certain combination of
bricks and how they are assembled and expect to make money on this.

Truthfully I have been supprised by much of this.  I can trully say I fall • into
the "A" catagory.  Yes I sell parts on Brickbay but that is just because I
don't want/need those parts and it defrays the cost of my collection.  For • me
my collection is there for one reason and that is my personal enjoyment. • I
could care less about the value of some set I own that is now sorted into • my
collective or even the value of a single part.

In my mind Bulk Ordering is nothing but good news no matter how extensive • or
limited it may end up being.  Sure it might be expensive in some cases but • if I
can get 20 of part A for $.20 a part instead of buying 20 sets at $20 a • set and
having to sort each set then I am happy because all I wanted in the first • place
were the 20 parts.  I don't care if my 75 blue 1x2x2 classic windows • suddenly
decrease in value because you can get them in bulk, I wasn't going to sell • them
anyway.

Now I can see where some people consider it enjoyable to be able to sell • sets
that they designed, created directions for, and collected the parts for. • Thats
great for them but to claim some kind of right to their assemblage of • parts to
an extent that they would be upset with me if I reverse engineered it for • my
own personal enjoyment is just plain crazy IMO.  If I own the parts I can
assemble them as I please and no one has a right to get upset with me for
borrowing an idea that they posted publicly for all to see (unless I try • to
sell it but even then it would have to be either an exact copy or so close • a
match that there is no doubt where the model origionated from).

I guess what I am asking is that if your collection is for something other • than
or in addition to your personal enjoyment then I would like to know what • that
is and why.

In addition to that is there anyone out there that is able to support
themselves selling LEGO (either as parts, sets, or your personalized • sets)?  If
not does anyone plan to try?  I guess I just don't see the market being • that
big but heck if I could make a living selling something I created then I • would
have to consider it.  I just don't think we are there yet (and probably • never
will be).

Anyone have any thoughts or am I just crazy and most everyone just uses • their
LEGO for the same reasons I do?

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/