 General / 25120
Re: How do you view your LEGO collection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:53:34 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
Do you view your LEGO collection as an investment in your...

A.  Mental Well-being.  (Its just something you have fun with).
B.  A financial investment that should increase in value over time.
C.  A tool for financial gain (you sell your creations and/or parts)
D.  Other
E.  Some combination of the above.

I guess I will have to answer "E" because all of them apply to me but "A" is
the primary motivator for me.

A:  With LEGO I have a hobby that I find enjoyable and for the most part, is
completely unrelated to my job which until I got re-involved with LEGO, my
job was essentially my hobby.  LEGO is also something that I do with my
family and it scales well with my available time (unlike something like golf
which takes several hours).  You can build for five minutes or five hours.
With three small children I rarely have extended periods of time to do
anything.

B:  While I think some of the sets I have will appreciate over time, I do
not consider them an investment and I am not counting on it.  It is hard to
believe that something like an 6399 Airport Shuttle which cost $160 new (at
least the one I have has a $159.99 TRU price tag on it) will appreiciate to
the point that 40 years down the road it will have sufficient value ($$)
such that selling it would affect my life style appreciably.  I try not to
over pay for things but have "splurged" on a couple of items (like a
Metroliner although mine cost me in the low $200 range, not $400 like some
have gone for).

C:  I am currently selling parts, sets, and kits on Brickbay and eBay.  I
don't consider the LEGO I sell a financial gain at all.  Any profit I make
simply offsets the money I spend on other LEGO and like other people, allows
me to buy more that I might otherwise be able to buy.  The profit from
Brickbay (or eBay or other means to sell LEGO) is almost inconsequential
(for me anyway) in the grand scheme of things that it is hard for me to look
at it any other way than helping me "self fund" my hobby.

As for the custom kits that I have for sale on Brickbay, I was essentially
curious to see if someone would purchase one of my designs (I have sold
several so the answer to that question is yes).  For my kits I limited my
inventory on hand (parts gathered) to a number (usually between five and 10
units worth) such that if I sold zero units and I was "stuck" with inventory
I wouldn't worry about it.  My trains will just be longer although a train
with 10 cabooses is kind of overkill!  Nice thing about LEGO, if something
doesn't sell, take it apart, build it as something else, and try to sell it
again.

A quick look at Brickbay shows that I have placed 37 orders and recieved 50.
I am probably somewhere in the break even area on sales and orders.  I will
say one thing, selling parts is far more time consuming than selling sets.

[ ... snipped ... ]

Anyone have any thoughts or am I just crazy and most everyone just uses • their
LEGO for the same reasons I do?

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

Interesting questions - certainly made me think a bit before posting a
response.

My $0.02,  YMMV.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com