 General / 25128
Re: How do you view your LEGO collection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:22:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
Do you view your LEGO collection as an investment in your...

A.  Mental Well-being.  (Its just something you have fun with).
B.  A financial investment that should increase in value over time.
C.  A tool for financial gain (you sell your creations and/or parts)
D.  Other
E.  Some combination of the above.

AAAAAAA!!!

The only time that B even enters into the picture is when I buy a set
somewhere and then find it drastically reduced somewhere else a month later.
But that isn't because I view LEGO as an investment, just that I feel stupid
for getting impatient and buying something at/near list price instead of
waiting for the clearance sales.

I've never sold any of my LEGO.  (I've been known to give away a choice
piece here and there...)  I would only consider doing this if I had just
waaaay to many of something that I was sure I'd never use.  But I've learned
with LEGO that you can never be sure what you'd never use.  All it takes is
the right inspiration, and suddenly yesterday's bin fodder is tomorrow's
gotta-have.  Also, the kinds of pieces that I have a lot of aren't very hard
to come by, so they probably wouldn't bring in the kind of return to be
worth the effort.

Of course, if you were to ask my wife whether my obsession with LEGO is good
for my mental well-being, you might get a different answer!