 General / 25
Re: Thank God for Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:40:02 GMT

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:08:03 GMT, "Jesse Long" <JesseL@hawaii.edu>
wrote:

I just loaded up RTL after having been away for one day--ONE DAY!!!--and
there are now 243 messages on it.  Hopefully, breaking the group down into
several different topics will cut down on the traffic.

That's nothing. 243 messages really aren't that many when you are
talking about a UseNET group these days.

Now, what's going to happen to RTL?

It'll stick around forever and ever. But maybe it will have less
traffic on it as people move to Lugnet. Or maybe now we will have to
follow two groups (though I must admit, even the little traffic we had
so far on lugnet, that I had already started reading RTL less. So if
more of the people I like to read start posting on lugnet.com, I will
be even less likely to continue to read RTL as this place ramps up.)

There will always be people who prefer to read on UseNET though -- or
who don't want to/know how to go to the trouble to set up a newsreader
to read a non-standard news feed.

(Ie, not coming directly through their ISP's server)

So it won't, likely, ever go away forever. This might prevent a split
of the group though, since it is split up here.

Sarah