 Off-Topic / Fun / 377
Re: Thank God for Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:42:15 GMT

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998 00:29:02 GMT, Larry Pieniazek
<lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> wrote:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Well, In any froup _I_'ve participasted in, over 100 (non-spam) msgs
means high-volume...

What is a froup? You have used that term a number of times now and I
have no idea what it means, except in context, as some sort of cute back
formation from newsgroup and something else, meaning just "newsgroup".

The Jargon File (1) is silent on this topic (2)

1 - http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/jargon_21.html#SEC28

Hmm... Nice to know where to find _those_ elusive tidbit of info.

2 - so therefore, by definition, it is not generally accepted(3) hacker
jargon. (4) Note that fnord is in there. (5)

3 - although it may be cute, or funny, or used in your tribe.

Well - I've probably just been hanging around
rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan too much. It's generally excepted
slang there - I think it probably originated from the Douglas
Adams-fan part of that newsgroup. Also, froup is shorter to type than
newsgroup, Although I think that advantage just went down the drain,
if you factor in these two messages on this subject. :)

5 - and I say "HI, Steve Jackson!". fnord.
As do I. I should, really, because I only bought one starter set of
Illuminati CCG, and since haven't been able to find anyone who's done
as much :(

Jasperf