 General / 24038
Re: Warning! This post praises MegaBloks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 02:17:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Robert M. Dye writes:
Has anyone seen the new MB Pokemon sets? Now, I'll grant you, I don't care
for the subject matter, but what they are doing with them!

They couldn't even be ORIGINAL with the Pokémon sets.  They couldn't pick
INTERESTING Pokémon such as Magnemite, Vaporeon, and such.  Nope, they just
had to use Pikachu and Charizard.

[notices others staring]

Pokémon, in terms of the divisions inflicted upon society, is actually a lot
like Lego.  There's the little kids who think they like it but can't really
appreciate it, there's the older fans who are constantly ridiculed by their
peers for "playing with baby toys", there's the fans who keep their fandom a
secret, and there's the overwhelming multitude of people who think it's
stupid but don't really have a valid reason.  And then there's a bunch of
people that really don't fit in anywhere.

The difference, in this case, is the company's intentions.  Legos are
intended primarily for little kids, but the company has branched out to make
allowances for the older fans.  On the other hand, Pokémon was originally
intended for a teenage audience (I'm serious!), but the fans in this
category have been dumped in favor of the screaming three-year-olds who
think Charizard is omnipotent, even though they don't even know what that means.

Of course, both have the same effect: advertising campaigns that target
little kids, thereby forcing the AFOLs and their Pokémon equivalents into
hiding and destroying the social life of any teenager who admits to knowing
anything about either.

Sorry.  I don't have any problems with someone disliking Pokémon.  I just
have problems with the "preschool fad" image associated with it.  I figured
I'd try to dispel it to the greatest degree possible while I still could.