 General / 17361
Re: Warning! This post praises MegaBloks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 00:29:43 GMT

"Bram Lambrecht" <braml@juno.com> wrote in message
"Robert M. Dye" <robdye@writeme.com> writes:
Has anyone seen the new MB Pokemon sets?
                         ^^^^^^^^^^
I cringed visibly after reading those tow words.  I use MB 2x2 white
tiles all the time (blasphemy, I know), but Pokemon?!?
--Bram

Ya know, Bram, I've since Christmas and as recently as last week been
impressed with MegaBloks.  The only previous experience with MB came back in
1997 when I obtained one of their small space fighter sets on a lark and I
was not overly impressed.  I found the 1997 set to be cosmeticly inferior to
LEGOs, but functionly on average to TLG parts.  The gripping power of the
part to part function was slightly inferior, but I did not find that a fault
in the actual building of that set or in using the parts with TLG parts.
More recently, my son gave me the "Battleship" set (I'd call it a destroyer
or at most a cruiser) and I was surprised at the improvement.  I could not
find the cosmetic faults I observed in the earily set.  The functioning of
the part were on the same level as TLGs.  Even more recently, last week as a
matter of fact, I purchased the "Combat Team" sets and again I was
surprised.  These three sets are the equal to TLGs sets (What!  Do I hear a
groan?).  TLG will continue to be a major player in the "block" wars because
of their expansive catalog of usable parts (BURBs, kiddie stuff, and plain
junk excluded).  When you consider the gender changers and various bracket
parts they (MB I mean) have I would be purchasing sets just to get these
parts.  These parts lessen my frustration since I like to build in modules
and symetrical shapes.

Regards,
Roy