 General / 23953
Re: Where do you keep your Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 21:09:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Where on Earth do you keep your Lego collections?
What about you folks who take trading seriously - where do you put it all?

Do you have a dedicated room, the loft, the garage, or just stick it in any
nook and cranny you can find?

Not a serious collector, but I love the stuff - I have taken over 80% of the
loft with it and that's just my stuff with the railway etc. 3 girls aged 0-7
think they own the rest but that's about 25% of one bedroom full!

Do have your sets on display?
Yes, but only the 8880 Technic Car is likely to stay built (my personal
favourite Technic set followed very closely by the Space Shuttle).

What about train or city layouts? Who has a permanent one?
I have. It's a combined train and city layout but at present it has been
cleared for 'landscaping' of the basebord using railway modelling
techniques. This project has been a little slow recently due to my less than
100% certifiable dedication to all things LEGO but as soon as the paints dry
its all being built up again. I've had almost a year of running trains on
the bare baseboards with only a few problems.

Whilst I am very keen on Lego, I wouldnt call myself a serious collector. I
am not interested in ensuring I have every set of a specific theme for
example.
Even so, I still wonder where to keep it all (especially display it and keep
large layouts permanent).

Biggest issue for me is fixing the track down, it just does not seem right
to permanently fix LEGO to a baseboard however my planned automatic signals
and hidden loops etc will require a more conventional modelling approach and
possibly (whisper) NON-LEGO wiring! Agh!

I thought about this last night as I had my arm twisted to clear up the
spare room in preparation for visitors. The bed being covered in Lego boxes.

Currently I have boxes all over the place. No one dedicated area. My sons
room is full - there is a whole wardrobe dedicated just to loose bricks and
parts. And he has several large shelves with displays - Star Wars, Pirate,
stations, various.

There is LEGO to be found in every room of the house - the pixies put it
there when no-one was looking.

My Metro Terminus is under the stairs. My Train is in the spare room (stored
in crates, desparate to be permanently displayed). The loft is the
repository for empty boxes, and MISB stuff for future trades, usage, or
whatever.

I keep the empty boxes too (maximum one of every set I have) but I'm not
sure why.

I have a resonably large house - but its still not enough.

I'm extending mine at the moment - beware, this soaks up lego building time
and of course lego buying power. I currently beleive that you can have 'too
much' LEGO. Partly because this makes me feel better when I see the size of
others' collections but also because it stifles creativity in a way - just
think back to when you were a kid (I don't have to think too hard due to my
eternal mental state) - you probably had a lot less LEGO then but I'm sure
the enjoyment was every bit as big (and it was easier to sort wasn't it!).

As anyone actually moved just to accomodate their Lego collection?
Does anyone rent space at a warehouse?
Now that would be taking it seriously!

regards
lawrence