 General / 22491
  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) [snip] I run parts auctions from time to time. I sporadically keep a list of participants (winners, actually) and when I launch an auction, I announce it on rtl, lma, and by sending a note to that mailing list. I let them know what I'm doing, (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I don't know about this specific situation (not being at my home e-mail, I don't know if I got this iteration of UCE), but I tend to side with Jeremy on this issue. However, it's probably relevant to point out that I'm a rabid opponent of (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  sale and auction advertisements (was: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces))

(...) I would like to avoid that kind of bad feeling. When my auction is over, I send out one big email to the winners with the total winnings listed out. If I included a clause something like "I normally would add your email address to my auction (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I have pointed this out before and I will again... It is a recommended practice to NEVER respond to SPAM E-Mails even to request removal. In general all this tells the SPAMMER is that you exist and usually guarentees you getting MORE SPAM not (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: sale and auction advertisements (was: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces))

(...) It would in my case. I appreciate that sort of consideration, and it tends to nudge someone up a few notches in my brain. Even better would be "If you want to be on my list, please..." - but I appreciate that that would impact the (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I find myself particularly leniant with these spams, sadly... I don't agree with the fact that they're spams, but at least they're really not dished out at complete random (i.e. you know your recipient at least has a chance of being (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: sale and auction adverts

Chris, What you describe is an "opt-out" list, which means the buyer has to do something to be removed from the list. That kind of list can generate the same ill-will already expressed about mailing lists. A better choice is an "opt-in" list, which (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) on (...) Well there are spammers and there are SPAMMERs. Do we really THINK that ANDREAS is some faceless ROBOT? (1) While I never respond to machine generated spam mail and that is good advice in general, I DO respond to people I know are (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) Well, this is a debatable point, I guess. *Should* you be hostile? Jeremy is, and that's fine for him. I'm not. I don't think you should feel guilty that you're not hostile enough. If you see what I mean. (...) (YCLIU, but... ) Your Mileage (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) Well, it's not that I feel guilty for not feeling hostile... it's that I feel if I concede to these spams, I feel as though I haven't a leg to stand on when disliking other spams. It's the more or less prejudiced opinion that these spams are (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I'm in the "mildly dislike opt out of AFOL mailing lists but don't mind it that much" camp so my answer is tainted, I guess. But for me it's not a hard dilemma... I can tell a note from an AFOL from a robot spam pretty easily. Robot SPAM gets (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) Not only that, but in your case, you have an open offer to buy "out there." So you would have a weaker claim to outrage than some others, IMHO. Chris (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) Christopher, I think you're a bit over the line on this one. I'd highly suggest instead asking your auction winners at that time if they want to be added to a list, and only e-mail them if the say yes. (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  RE: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

First off, let me say it's always best to err on the side of caution with mass mailings. As others have said, when constructing an auction/sale notification list the default should be *not* adding them; only add those who respond asking to be on (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Just make it clear to people what kind of list they're getting on (was: Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno)

(...) I've had an auction e-mail announcement/distro/mailing list (with the default being to stay on rather than be dropped off) since 1994 and I can't remember anyone ever getting rabid about being mailed -- only polite requests to be removed from (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)