 General / 2187
Re: TLG is loosing money!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:40:48 GMT

<follow-ups set to off-topic.debate>

Richard Dee writes:
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:38:26 GMT, James Brown uttered the following
profundities...

Lacking children of my own so far, my test group is my three nephews(aged 8, • 8,
and 10).  I have also noticed the attention deficit problem, but with an
interesting twist.  They keep coming back to the Lego.  Other toys regularly
I live far to far away to be able to observe such trends, sadly.
Though during the 2 days he had them, the games to which he
kept returning were not the Lego, but "Guess Who" and "Gator
Golf." What few things he created weren't even imaginitive,
and most play centred on simple constructions of my own.
(Built a pathetic little house. Rather than he taking any
interest in reconstructing it, or learning how it was
constructed, just wanted to play with the minifigs and
that house.)

Part of that is the age thing.  My two younger nephews are by far more inclined
to build something to play with than to simply build something.  My older
nephew will build and rebuild something until he likes the way it's built.

One of the problems, I suspect, is that his parents divorced
when he was 4 (he's 6 now). He doesn't get enough of the
right kind of attention he did before. And, although I
don't see him very often, think that is seriously hindering
his development. It seems that time spent might concentrate
on undermining the other parent, and reinforcing their own
affections and roles, rather than taking the time to ensure
his development. A great shame, and not an example of societal
problems either. Unfortunately, a result of the animosity that
currently exists between the parents!

I suspect that you are entirely right.  My brother is in a marriage that (IMO,
at least) is about as rock-solid as they come.

Still there is hope. I suspect that my parents will move closer,
in order to be more active in his growing up. We live in the UK,
they in the US............

that would probably be a Good Thing.  Somebody else I know has found themselves
in a similar ackward position taking indirect care of a little boy with an
unreliable (when not in jail) father.

I somehow doubt you had any interest in this, but I suppose it is
interesting, and useful to compare......
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888                  ICQ 13177071
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/