 General / 2122
Re: TLG is loosing money!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:40:04 GMT

I was interested to see the topic of Brio trains come up during this
thread.  My son (just turned four) was big into Brio trains for about
18-24 months.  He stopped playing with them when he was three.  I am
not sure why his interest wained but they just didn't seem to hold his
interest.  We have a very nice set of Brio trains that were accumulated
over time.  This was a toy that I enjoyed playing with my son and we
spent a lot of time doing it.  One of the things I had done one year was
to build a nice table to hold all of the trains and to have a fixed track.

Recently while at ZB, I noticed that Brio has started moving away
from the simple wooden cars, trucks, and trains that they have been
known for.  They have added Richard Scarry and Theodore the Tugboat
sets and I think in the process, lost some of the allure of the Brio name.
It is also extremely expensive.  People may consider LEGO expensive
but IMO, it pales in comparison to Brio.  All of our Brio stuff has been
boxed up and put away.  I imagine at sometime it will come back out
for my daughter, but for now, it is in hibernation.

About the same time my son was losing interest in Brio, he was starting
to play with LEGO.  He had received a bucket of LEGO from my parents
for Christmas.  This gift resurected my interest in LEGO and I merged
all of my LEGO I had saved from the 70's in with his.  One of the smartest
things we did (actually my wife did it) was to take the Brio table I had
made
and convert it into a LEGO table.  This table is perfect for keeping the
pieces off the floor (and out of the vacuum).  You can see portions of the
table in the pictures on my web page:  http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh

A couple of thoughts on Town/Jr.  I happen to like these sets.  My son can
build these sets on his own from the instructions with little assistance.
Doing
this is a great source of pride for him and eventually these pieces become
assembled into all kinds of goofy little vehicles that spring from the mind
of
a four year old.  His favorite set is the Outback Racer (6550).  The
Town/Jr.
sets are providing a great foundation for his building skills.

Just my thoughts ...

Mike - mike_walsh@mentorg.com