 General / 2115
Re: TLG is loosing money!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:38:26 GMT

Richard Dee writes:
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:16:06 GMT, Jesse Long uttered the following
profundities...
I think the fact that kids the world over are falling prey to the Nintendo
syndrome, and aren't paying much attention to thinking/building toys.  TLG

Had just purchased the two silver freestyle sets for my nephew.
He enjoyed the two puny Shell sets and Santa set I gave him,
and thought that some more bricks and pieces would help enhance
his play. 6 years old, and lost interest within 30 minutes. He
didn't seem to able to build much of anything. He is an expert
in computer games, however. (For his age). No bells, whistles,
instant graphic satisfaction. Shame.

Lacking children of my own so far, my test group is my three nephews(aged 8, 8,
and 10).  I have also noticed the attention deficit problem, but with an
interesting twist.  They keep coming back to the Lego.  Other toys regularly
get abandoned in corners after their attention wanders, and completely
forgotten.  Generally speaking, what they keep coming back to are things that
attract their attention (flashing lights, noises, etc), and things that
challenge them (Lego, computer games, checkers, etc).  But if the things that
attract them don't keep changing and doing newer and more impressive things,
they stop caring, and the toys become "stupid"(1).  This is where Lego and
other construction toys pull ahead - they keep challenging the kids.
  After several years of observation, there are only two things I still see the
kids still playing with:  the computer, and Lego.  Invariably when I visit I am
greeted by the twin(2) cries of "Look what I built!" and "Come see what's on
the computer!"  As a side note, "what I built" has _never_ been a Town Jr. set,
although its occaisionally sets from other themes.

Perhaps more alarming was before I had bought him these freestyle
sets, he was playing "Mug Santa," and "Santa's got a gun! Oh my!"
games with the 3 sets. I had debated removing the guns, wish I
had.

This is (IMO) completely unavoidable in western society.  My brother did a
pretty good job with his kids - screening the T.V. they could watch, not
letting them buy army toys or guns etc. - and it worked perfectly, right up to
the day the oldest one went to school.  He's since thrown up his hands in
despair after fighting a losing battle to outside influences, and settled for
not buying them war toys et. al. and telling them (when they buy their own with
allowance) that they can't play with them in the house, and they're not allowed
to point them at people.

1:A direct quote from my nephew, no less.

2:I say twin cries, because that's usually the two that are charging and
yelling.  The older one usually says "Hi Uncle James" first... and then drags
me off to the Lego (or the computer)  ;)