 General / 21613
Re: Anyone heard this story yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 12:13:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Schilling writes:
In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
Companies register alternate URL's like this all the time and IMHO it is good
practice and it avoids a lot of headaches.  In fact most large companies
register .org and .net and even some other domains for every URL they own.
Whats a few hundred or even a couple thousand dollars for domains for such a
large company?  It's not even a blip on the raidar.

True.  I know one company that has registered thirty to forty-odd other urls,
none of them in use, just to make sure that this sort of thing doesn't happen
to them.  Note that these include adding derogatory suffixes to their name as
well.  I wonder how long before TLC starts reserving those types of names
themselves.

Yup one of the most common suffixes (and most tame) that companies tend to
register is "sucks".  It also just so happens that this LEGO + this suffix is
still available which doesn't supprise me but I also won't be supprised if
someone registers it at some point and LEGO has to bring out the lawyers again.

Actually I think the lawyers are the only ones that make out in situations like
this.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/