 General / 21586
Re: Anyone heard this story yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:13:33 GMT

Eric,

Never underestimate the power one has by irritating a corporation.

Indeed, but I can't imagine why anyone do this to anybody. Doesn't TLC • have
enough problems without this as well? It's just another example of people
wasting other peoples time, money, and resources, when people *know* • better.
Woouldn't it have been better to do something constructive or something?

Sorry but I just have to throw my 2 cents in here.  IMHO this is TLC's own • darn
fault.  It shows their incompitance when it comes to the internet.  They • should
have registered www.legolandwindsor.com when they named it Legoland • Windsor.
Granted that www.legoland.co.uk makes perfect sense but that doesn't • matter
they should register both.  Just as they should register the full name of • all
of their parks and major corporate divisions.  They should even have them
forward appropriately.  FYI www.legolandcalifornia.com is registered by
Global Wave Enterprises but it links to nothing so I don't know if they • have
reserved it for TLC or are squating on it.  Seeing Global Wave lists a • HOTMAIL
account on the Whois database my guess is they are squating on it.

Companies register alternate URL's like this all the time and IMHO it is • good
practice and it avoids a lot of headaches.  In fact most large companies
register .org and .net and even some other domains for every URL they own.
Whats a few hundred or even a couple thousand dollars for domains for such • a
large company?  It's not even a blip on the raidar.

It's just like when they announced LEGO Direct without preregistering
www.legodirect.com.  They just are not a technically savy company yet.

Anyway www.legolandwindsor.com is something LEGO should have taken care of • long
ago so in my oppinion they deserve what they got and should leave Mr. • Legoland
Windsor alone.

I don't really have any disagreements with TLC's own incompetence in this
argument, Eric, they should know better. After saying thathowever, (A good
example along the same lines is the georgewbush.com thing as well) I am just
saying Mr. LEGOLAND Windsor, or whatever, is a good example of scummy
people. Would you change your name and register a URL to get at a
corporation? I would not, and I question motives of people that do, and do
bad, immoral, and corrupt things. I guess this really got to me because of a
project we have here at AEI, with a very bad general contractor, trying to
give us a hard time, when he isn't doing what he is supposed to. Same scummy
people, doing bad things to people, places and things just to prove a point,
steal money, etc. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and questions a lot
of things. : (

My last 0.02 on the issue

Scott S.
--Soon to be Black & Veatch Employee: http://www.bv.com
Want LEGO Parts at Great Prices? Visit The Sanburn Systems Company!
http://www.sanburnsystems.com