 General / 21606
Re: Anyone heard this story yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:21:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
Companies register alternate URL's like this all the time and IMHO it is good
practice and it avoids a lot of headaches.  In fact most large companies
register .org and .net and even some other domains for every URL they own.
Whats a few hundred or even a couple thousand dollars for domains for such a
large company?  It's not even a blip on the raidar.

True.  I know one company that has registered thirty to forty-odd other urls,
none of them in use, just to make sure that this sort of thing doesn't happen
to them.  Note that these include adding derogatory suffixes to their name as
well.  I wonder how long before TLC starts reserving those types of names
themselves.

The biggest problem is how difficult network solutions and other companies
make it to reserve a huge list of names.  They've designed their system for
one or two urls per customer.  But try and get them to just send you a single
bill, once a year, for a hundred different urls...

--
  David Schilling