 General / 21612
Re: Anyone heard this story yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:47:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller writes:

Sorry but I just have to throw my 2 cents in here.  IMHO this is TLC's own
darn fault.  It shows their incompitance when it comes to the internet.

Agreed. In this particular case, it seems pretty logical that
"legolandwindsor" is probably associated with the Lego theme park with a
similar name.

I wonder though; how can they be expected to police all misuse of their > name in a case like this?

By having an ever vigilant,  and understanding AFOL community?

If they copyright legolandwindsor.com, what's to prevent
some knucklehead from using "legoland-windsor.com" or "legoland_windsor.com"
or even "lego-windsor.com"?  Realistically, and in all seriousness, how can
any corporation, even an incompetent one, hope to guard against all these
permutations of its name?

Point-taken, but there is an issue of possible  "abuse" of trademarks here.
If a site registered as http://the_lego_sales_shop.com and only sold clone
bricks that would in IMHO be illegal. ( misleadig advertising?)..

Persoanlly I think there should be a way of letting Lego know about
potential cybersqautting on and misuse of 'sensitve' names.

(lugnet.lego.tradmarks_abuse, Todd?)

Alex.